Wednesday, September 7

Romance review sites

Villiany wears many masks, none of which are more dangerous than virtue.

-- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow Washington Irving
It's occurred to me that I'd regularly visit only these web sites: Mrs Giggles, All About Romance and The Romance Reader. So, I decided to branch out a bit to see what's out there. Or at least, re-visit sites that I hadn't seen for a while. Here's a selection of what I have found so far: The Historical Gazette "A bi-monthly newsletter for readers and writers of historical romances. Each issue is a light-hearted look at a different time period, with articles and illustrations of fashions, homelife, transportation, social customs, and interviews with authors, as well as a bibliography of resources and a list of books set in those times." Subversion It doesn't say what is the site about, but it looks to be a mixture of author interviews, authors' essays, reviews, history factsheets, readers' resources and such such. Author-friendly site. Historical Romance Club Site owner Ingela Hyatt says, "I began my love affair with historical romance novels back in 1988, and my interest has never waned. After creating so many other websites, it seemed like a natural progression to create my own website devoted to the genre." I can't tell if this is a review or author promotion site. What puts me off is the number of offers for authors to promote books through this site, implying that it offers advertorial service. Either way it seems to be an author-friendly site. We Really Dig Romance Novels "For Romance Novel Information. From contemporary to historical from paranormal to time travel, cover art, synopsis, links to authors/artists/ models, and more romance related issues." Pretty much an author-friendly site. Slake It's basically a book database with a few cool features, ranging from The Pedestal / The Wall to Quotes, attached. The jewel in the Slake crown has to be Categories. Unfortunately, the site rarely tells you when it's updated or what the site is truly about. It has an eccentric schedule and the devil-may-care attitude. I found this site about five years ago, and today it looks exactly how it looked back then, but I do think it's a great trivia site for readers. A Romance Review "A Romance Review is simply a group of people who have been brought together by their passion for romance! Whether reading it, or writing about it, we are all dedicated to the idea that a pleasure shared is a pleasure enhanced." A friend of mine once called this site "The Stepford Wives' Favourite". Heh. Either way, it seems to be very much an author-friendly site. BookaHolics of The Book Clique Cafe "These Bookaholic boards are for the use of active readers interested in the reading and discussion of our various book selections in multiple genres. We Think that REAL BookaHolics don't need a 12 step program... They simply need a gang that understands them...LOL! :)" If you scroll down the page, you'll find the Romance section that has message boards for readers of Nora Roberts, Linda Lael Miller, Julie Garwood, Lavyrle Spencer, Historical Romance, and Romantic Suspense. Paper and Lace "Paper and Lace is a site that specializes in paranormal romance and fiction." Hmmm, all reviews that I could find were written by Harriet "I'm Human. Really." Klausner. Author-friendly site. Dangerously Curvy Novels "The one common thread is that all of the books [reviewed here] have strong female protagonists who don't fit the current mold for beauty. They are described as being either real-sized or plus-sized, or they are not described at all but are simply 'everywoman' characters whose appearance is left completely to the imagination of the reader." Web site owner is ~Jen~, a regular RT poster and a real sweetie. [**note: it's down. Does anyone know the new URL?] ADDITION: Beth came up with the correct URL: http://www.curvynovels.info. Cheers, Beth! Chick Lit Books "This website features chick lit book reviews and information, as well as forums where you can express your opinions, favorite or least favorite book discussions, or whatever takes your fancy." Other Chick Lit sites are commerically driven, but this one seems to be done by Rian Montgomery, a fan of the genre. Impressive. Her essay What is Chick Lit? is worth reading. Sheikhs and Desert Love "Sheikhs and Desert Love features romance novels with a Sheikh (or an Arab or desert prince) as the primary male character. Though most of the novels in the database take place in Middle Eastern countries, it is not a requirement for inclusion. In most cases, the heroines of these stories are women who hail from progressive countries, such as the United States, Canada, Australia or Great Britain. The majority are slender, with long fair hair." But it had a very nice design, but it seems to have a different design now, which I don't really like. It does, however, have interesting features: articles, book database, reviews, message board and "Fictional Arabia". Romance Reviews Today "Romance Reviews Today is dedicated to providing insightful, honest reviews for the discriminating reader." Yet another author-friendly site. Word Museum Reviews Its ratings say it all: "1 rosette: Nice Addition, 2: Pleasant Discovery, 3: Unique Acquisition, 4: Rare Find, and 5: Collector's Treasure". Warm fuzzies! Definitely an author-friendly site. Ach, I'm stopping because I'm starting to get sick of seeing sooooo many gushy reviews. I find the majority of romance review sites unuseable. Almost all have ratings of five stars and 'a must read!!' reviews for almost all books reviewed. This doesn't make sense to me. Are they really saying that every romance novel they read is that good? Because of this, I don't trust these sites that gear heavily toward authors. I suspect that the majority strive to make their reviews pleasing to authors in order to keep review copies coming. This is the only logical reason I could come up with. I may be wrong [please do correct me if I am]. Frankly, most reviews I read online are nothing more than press releases, which I suppose they are at the end of the day. Either way, it's largely because of this, I no longer read romance reviews. Still, I think it's a mistake to focus on pleasing authors when it should focus on readers - the very people that buys romance novels. I think authors are greatly mistaken if they believe that bad reviews will affect their book sales because from what I see, bad reviews don't stop readers buying their books. If anything, I believe balanced [for some authors, it reads "harsh"] reviews help readers to feel confident enough to buy these books because they feel they are going in with their eyes wide open. More than not, they get a jolt of pleasant surprise to discover it is not as bad as a reviewer says. I strongly believe this is why Mrs Giggles's reviews are so popular with readers. It makes sense, really; you are likely to be disappointed if it doesn't live up to high expectations, but if you read with low expectations, it is likely to be better than you expected. Then again, this invisible drive to protect authors' feelings has always been the case. By this I mean, there is a real sense that authors come before readers, which is short-sighted, but it's a lot better than it was a few years ago, though. When I first came online I was shocked to find how geared it was toward romance authors and that there is a mentality that if you are critical of a romance novel, you simply aren't a 'true' supporter of the genre. More on this later. If there is a romance review site that do publish balanced reviews, please give us a shout. Link of the Day: Sequels and Prequels for Romance Novels Be good, be bad & be safe.

17 Comments:

Blogger meljean brook said...

I read Mrs. Giggles, AAR, and TRR. I will put a book in Google and see what other reviews pop up, but I often read them somewhat suspiciously.

Another site is RomanceJunkies.com (I only knew of it because I got a request for an ARC, and checked it out) -- it seems pretty author-friendly, and difficult to navigate (and the talking head lady on the front page freaks me out). I'm not certain of the relationship between authors promoting on the site, and the Blue Ribbon reviews (I can't find a review archive at all, but it must be there?)

9/07/2005 06:44:00 pm

 
Blogger Tara Marie said...

What a great list! I've been to some of them, but forget they're out there.

I'm not on RT that much anymore, but I think "~Jen" is doing a lot of writing and is really into political blogging.

9/07/2005 07:26:00 pm

 
Blogger Nicole said...

Mel, at RJ, the review archive is from the pull down menu. But yeah, RJ is very author-friendly and makes that very well known. I was (okay, technically I still am) a reviewer at RJ and negatives in reviews aren't allowed.

One thing with some review sites is they may say they allow balanced reviews, but it's the reviewers who want to buddy up to the authors and won't say anything but gushing things.

Eh, it's pretty much that reason why I decided to stop reviewing. Too much pressure. And I have had authors who once sent me their books stop after a few so-so ratings. Could be they're busy, could be they wanted the glowing reviews of before. Who knows. I've found that I'm much more happy getting my book recommendations from blogs. I want to keep reviewing, but on my terms and on my blog. :-)

9/07/2005 07:49:00 pm

 
Blogger meljean brook said...

Ah, thanks for that clarification. As an author, I don't mind the promotion *g* but as a reader I don't have much use for only-positive reviews. If there's a good synopsis of the storyline, it's helpful (often that is the part of a review I go off of at AAR, for example) but one reader's flaw might be why I buy a book (forced seductions, anyone? :-D)

As far as writing goes -- sites like AAR, where they talk in detail about flaws have really helped me/given a vocabulary to articulate my own likes and dislikes in reading and writing. When I feel something's kind of 'off', it might spark a recollection of a review and a discussion of the flaws, and makes it easier to define a problem.

Hehe, easy for me to say now :-D *sobs in anticipation of F*

9/07/2005 08:33:00 pm

 
Blogger meljean brook said...

Oh! the Mrs. Giggles link is broken at the top of the entry...missing a 'g' in the address? Uh, not that I can't just go to the sidebar *twiddles thumbs*

9/07/2005 08:35:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone with a romance website, I'd received this promotional email from a romance columnist in the mainstream media. I thought maybe this would indicate possibility of critical reviews, but upon checking it out, the balance seems tilted toward author promotion. Still, may be of interest to you. --PS

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Check out my new column and features, Romance: B(u)y the Book at www.WNBC.com/romance.
[...]
Michelle Buonfiglio
Romance: B(u)y the Book
Internet Broadcasting
www.ibsys.com
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

9/08/2005 12:26:00 am

 
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

I agree with you Maili. There isn't that many review sites for readers that are honest. With book prices going up all the time, I rely less and less on review sites and more on blogs. There is one other one that's not too bad for readers I don't think you mentioned and that's
http://romancereaderatheart.com/
They also have a nice message board although it's not very busy.

9/08/2005 02:30:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Chick lit books, even though I dont go for the reviews really. I like to browse the different genres and they usually have a pretty extensive 'upcoming' page.

9/08/2005 03:12:00 am

 
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Honestly, even as aspiring author I don't like friendly reviews that are nothing but a favour - I prefer honest ones even if they're harsh. Only that way can an author improve.

And I hope should I get published that terribly sweet and goeyly sticky Harriet Klausner never will review my books. Her reviews remind me of those childhood candies - you couldn't get the sugar off your fingers for hours.

9/08/2005 03:25:00 am

 
Blogger Megan Frampton said...

Still, I think it's a mistake to focus on pleasing authors when it should focus on readers - the very people that buys romance novels. I think authors are greatly mistaken if they believe that bad reviews will affect their book sales because from what I see, bad reviews don't stop readers buying their books.

Dude, you rock. Before trying to write, I was the Editor-in-Chief of a music industry tipsheet, very similar to Romantic Times. And we always wrote honest reviews--how long would we have credibility if we kissed ass all week long? If you're not thick-skinned enough to read bad reviews about your work, don't read them. But this whole cozy author/reader thing gives me hives. Which is why I rely on AAR and readers' blogs. I don't need to read synopses of the book, I want to know if someone credible thinks it's good. So thanks, Maili.

9/08/2005 03:43:00 am

 
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Lol, there's a famous critic in Germany, Marcel Reich Ranicki, and when he trashes a book, it sells like warm bread rolls. A praise or a condemnation from him both increase sales - the worst that can happen to you is that he doesn't review your book at all. ;)

9/08/2005 04:12:00 am

 
Blogger Lbrychic said...

http://www.curvynovels.info/ is the new site for Dangerously Curvy Novels. I recently discovered this site myself.

I visit Writerspace.com regularly.
I also go to Witchy's Den (bb) on her website, http://www.themysticcastle.com/

9/08/2005 04:59:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait! No mention of Smart Bitches?

*starts crying hysterically*

Heehee.

Yeah, AAR and Mrs. Giggles are the only sites that do it for me when it comes to romance reviews. I don't necessarily read them for information--I read them for entertainment. I like reading opinion pieces, and I find myself treating reviews as such, and not book recommendations.

9/08/2005 05:40:00 am

 
Blogger lost said...

Meljean - I do that, too, viewing them with suspicion. Rather sad, isn't it? :) After I read your note, I went over to check it out and was startled to see new changes at Romancejunkies.com, especially that talking lady, and not in a good way. [I prefer the old version.] I see that you and Nicole have resolved the navigation problem. :D

Tara Marie - Oh, yeah. I forgot how much a political creature she can be. :D Erika and Jen were very into it, IIRC. Well, Erika still is, I suppose! :D Thanks for the heads up. [p.s. did you get my reply?]

Nicole - ah, it'd be a shame if you stopped reviewing, but by the look of it, you'll stick to your own blog. If so, yay. We need good reviewers. I find writing reviews about good books more tough than about bad books. From what I hear, for the majority of reviewers it's the other way round. *cries*

Meljean - thanks for the heads up on the broken link. :D I personally prefer a completed but short book review with a link to a completed but longer version, but I don't know any romance book review site that has this function. TRR reviews are quite good at getting to the point, though. I used to like reading AAR reviews, but my recent experience with how they handled my post regarding an AAR review puts me off. I still love AAR boards, though. :)

Anonymous - thanks you for the pointer. Nicely designed, but I think I agree with you that it's tilted toward author promotion. Ah, well. :D Thanks, anyhow.

Kristie - Oh, that site is fantastic for compiling lists and summaries of books you couldn't find anywhere but BYRON and FictionDB. I didn't realise they do reviews as well. Cheers for that. Yes, I rely on reader bloggers' feedback as well.

Jay - I love reading reviews *after* I read books, but when I am really tempted to buy a book I couldn't afford, I go to review sites that aren't known to spill spoilers. Chick lit books? I admit to choosing on the basis of book covers. :D OK, I shouldn't admit to that...

Gabriele - I wish more authors have a similar view to yours. In fairness, there ARE some authors who do like balanced reviews. Harriet Klausner ... heh. She only reviews books she liked. But I prefer her to Deborah MacGillivray whose comments about Scotland in her reviews [usually found at Amazon.com] frequently send me into fits of indignation and outrage. Oh, dear, I can feel my blood pressure rising. Let me be zen. Be zen. Ooomph. Ooomph.

Megan - ah! I feel for you. I've worked on both sides, and the whole thing makes me shudder. I actually understand and respect advertising, promotion and marketing. It's fun, but how it's done sometimes annoys me. If an author paid me to promote her book through this blog, I'd go for it and make it clear to everyone that it's a promotional piece. It's fair for all around, IMO. Yeah, some authors' extreme reactions to some reviews puzzled me sometimes. I understand disappointment and the works, but to demand a reviewer to rewrite her review or upgrade a grade? Ah, it's a shame because the author is underestimating readers' IQ.

Gabriele C. - heh. I have heard some romance authors say the same thing about Mrs. Giggles. IMO, these authors truly understsand how it works, so yay to them. :)

Beth - oh, cheers! Thanks for the heads up. I'll put up the correct URL after this. Writespace isn't a review site, is it? It's more of an information centre for readers? Or did I misunderstand? Thanks for the pointer on Witchy's Den.

Candy - Ah, but I do plan to write about review blogs and I have six lined up so far. :> I think the majority reads reviews for the sake of reading, rather than using them as a buy guide.

9/08/2005 01:53:00 pm

 
Blogger Lbrychic said...

no i don't supposed Writerspace is really a review site. It does however link to Thebestreviews.com.

I don't read reviews myself so im not the best judge on that.

9/08/2005 03:34:00 pm

 
Blogger Nicole said...

I liked reviewing, but my creative well for it seems to have run dry. So while I conquer my towering tbr pile, I'll just review on my blog. Still finishing up reviews, though.

9/08/2005 05:13:00 pm

 
Blogger Tara Marie said...

Maili, I didn't get your reply, did you send it to the yahoo address or the frontier address? My husband is famous for deleting things from the frontier address without telling me. I'll go check the deleted file.

Thanks, Tara

9/08/2005 06:00:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home