Thursday, September 1

If Angels Burn - Lynn Viehl

1. Title/Author If Angels Burn - Lynn Viehl [Book 1 of the Darkyn series] 2. Genre Vampire romance. 3. Brief Synopsis [Taken from Amazon.com] Alexandra Keller is Chicago's most brilliant reconstructive surgeon. Michael Cyprien is New Orleans's most reclusive millionaire-and in desperate need of Dr. Keller's skills. In the heart of the Garden District, Alex encounters the extraordinary Cyprien, uncovering a love Alex is willing to embrace, even if she must sacrifice her heart and soul to do so. 4. Copyright Year 2005. 5. Indicate if you liked or disliked it? Neither. There aren't many books that I approached with high expectations, but I did with If Angels Burn. I'd been looking forward to read it for so long that I'm unsure if it was my high expectations that makes it a disappointing read or it's indeed not that fantastic. So I'm holding back comments on some specific details of the story until I re-read it. Until then, this is my first reaction on the basis of having high expectations. My biggest disappointment with If Angels Burn is there isn't a real sense of character growth in Alex and Cyprien. This book has been marketed as a vampire romance, but it isn't. I don't know if it is due to lack of chemistry between the h/h or the fact that there isn't many romantic scenes to further their relationship that makes it so. I think it's the combination of both and lack of their character growth that eventually made me indifferent to the h/h and their fate. The next disappointment is there is lack of solid background information to various aspects of the plot, which generated many questions that got in the way of my reading. Then again, to be fair, I am a fussy reader who likes a story that makes sense. When it doesn't, I'd try to reason it out, figuring out how this or that happened and why, and this usually distracts me from the story, which is the case with If Angels Burn. I felt that the focus of the story was all over the place, due to its web of subplots, which I won't go into details here. I also felt that since it's a vampire romance, the focus ought to be on the romantic development of Alex and Cyprien's relationship while they grapple with the effects of an ongoing war. Then again, it is the first in a series, which makes If Angels Burn is, basically, an introductory novel to a new series, but I felt it shouldn't be made at expense of Alex and Cyprien's relationship. Even with lackluster romance, underdeveloped characters, and many clichéd elements of the vampire genre, If Angels Burn is good, but not so good that I'd put a gun to someone's head to read it. Having said all that, I've learned my lesson from my experience with Liz Maverick's The Shadow Runners, which failed very colourfully for my first read because a) it was marketed as a futuristic romance, b) it was one of a few highly antipicated novels, and c) my lasting shock over Maverick's decision to make Australia a British colony. Yet when I re-read it by accident some months later, it - although it still doesn't work as a futuristic romance and I still don't like Maverick's decision to make Australia a British colony - turned out to be a thoroughly enjoyable read and Jenny Red becomes one of my favourite heroines. This may be the case for If Angels Burn as well, hence my caution with comments, but I intend to re-read it one day. My verdict? Still out. From what I see, I'm one of a very few who didn't think highly of If Angels Burn, so there is a very good chance that you may enjoy this book. As a cover bunny, I love the book cover. It looks so moody and atmospheric that I wanted to bring out my music CD copy of Crackle: The Best Of Bauhaus to accompany this read. I would have if I knew where the damned copy was. 6. Is this a new author for you? No. I've read Into the Fire and The Deepest Edge, both were written under her other name, Jessica Hall. 7. Would you read more by this author? For this Darklyn series, it depends. First book of a series tends to be the weakest and with each successive book, the series is likely to improve [or vice versa], so I probably will get Private Demon, the second Darkyn book, to see whether the series is worth following, but not until I re-read this, though. Coming up next: Intergalatic Bad Boys - Jaide Black Fox [ebook] P.S. Many thanks to Alyssa for her accidental inspiration of an idea to nick Keishon's TBR Challenge review structure for this. :D Be good, be bad & be safe.

10 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

I'm glad I could help. LOL! I like that structure quite a bit. For me, it's a nice change from my longer reviews. Glad it worked for you.

9/01/2005 05:28:00 pm

 
Blogger Jordan Summers said...

Intergalactic Bad Boys is by Jaide Fox. (Jaid Black writes and owns Ellora's Cave. :)

9/01/2005 05:41:00 pm

 
Blogger lost said...

Alyssa - heh, thanks again for the idea. :>

CW - even as a horror novel, it's still a bit dodgy. I'd rather wait until re-read to determine what I really think of it. Thanks for the explanation, though. In a way, it does make sense.

Jordan - um ... what can I say?! :D Thanks for the correction. Much appreciated.

9/01/2005 05:50:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My reaction was very similar. Kind of a meh book. (My review is here if you're interested.)

I felt that there wasn't just a lack of character through the book, but the characters had very little depth to begin with. I can love a book with poor plot and good characters much more easily than the reverse.

I'm going to give the second on a chance, but if I have the same reaction, then that's it.

9/01/2005 07:40:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the review format. Keeps things short and sweet. What did you think of the Jessica Hall books?

This book flunked my 15-page test, but I have to resist the urge to get it anyway because everyone seems to lurrrrrve it, and I want to see what the fuss is about.

9/01/2005 07:40:00 pm

 
Blogger Megan Frampton said...

Maili:

I felt the same way you did: I had such high expectations of the book, and was sorta meh, too. She's a great, evocative writer, but the plot wasn't cohesive. I will read the rest of the books in the series, and I am absolutely LOVING the Stardoc series, which she writes as S.L. Viehl. And the cover is gorgeous.

9/01/2005 08:16:00 pm

 
Blogger meljean brook said...

This book flunked my 15-page test, but I have to resist the urge to get it anyway because everyone seems to lurrrrrve it, and I want to see what the fuss is about.

This is me, too--I've skimmed through the middle and red the beginning pages, but haven't bothered to buy yet although I really want to (hype). I'll probably wait a bit longer; I have no doubt that I'll eventually read it, but right now I'm just not that into it.

9/01/2005 08:21:00 pm

 
Blogger CindyS said...

You just saved me! I picked this one up from the pile last night to start reading. How is it that I fall for books that are supposed to be romance!

Now, do I keep my copy for a few years and wait for people's reaction to the series or get it out of the house. Hmmm, I just don't know. I'll do the 15 pg test and see.

I picked up Medeiros' new book at the store and thought I would try that 15 page test - didn't get past the first two chapters so for Candy and Meljean - thanks for saving me the 10 bucks!!

CindyS

9/01/2005 09:44:00 pm

 
Blogger CindyS said...

First two paragraphs!!

Dang, CindyS

9/01/2005 09:45:00 pm

 
Blogger Tara Marie said...

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to 'pack a good kick up your bottom.' I must be coming across as really cranky these days.

Nice review.

I liked this book more than you did. I agree with your comments about sub-plots and character developement, but I saw it as part of setting the stage for the rest of the series.

9/01/2005 11:20:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home