Reader Interview: Beth
Beth, an Library Aide, lives in Jacksonville, North Carolina, USA, and has a blog: Bibliophile and Bookaholic When you were a child, what did you usually read? Well, my earliest cravings were for comic books. I eventually moved up to Amelia Bedelia, Curious George, etc., and then to Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, The Babysitters Club. In middle school, I started reading V. C. Andrews, Christopher Pike, R. L. Stine, L. J. Smith, Caroline B. Cooney, John Saul, etc. And as a romance reader? I read ALL types of romances I have no specifics. Stephanie Laurens, Sabrina Jeffries, Janet Evanovich, Carly Phillips, Brenda Novak, Shirley Jump, Deirdre Martin, Valerie Frankel, Alison Kent, Shanna Swendson, Vicki Lewis Thompson and Tori Carrington, just to name a few. Apart from romance novels, what do you usually read if any? Mysteries, Thrillers, Suspense, Horror, heck anything fiction. lol Do you have any weaknesses for certain themes, storylines, settings or such in romances? If so, what are they? Unlike a lot of people I've read about lately, I like reading the secret baby stories. Any romance based on a librarian (or with a library LOL) I love series/recurring characters. How do you make your selection when you buy romances? Titles/Covers catch my eyes first while browsing in a store. Then blurbs. Unless I've read something about it on any number of blogs or websites. What are your pet peeves with romance novels? When the ending seems too rushed or the heroine is extremely TSTL (too stupid to live - for all those who don't know - it took me a while to figure it out, too). When discussing romance novels and/or the Romance genre with fellow readers, which issues interest you most? I just like seeing what others thought of the same books I've read. I also use everyones guidance in helping me help my customers find something new to read. If an influential romance editor asks you for an opinion on the Romance genre, what would you say? Not sure. Name up to five romance novels that left you lasting impressions. I think that when you finish a book and it makes you want to go find anything and everything by that author that's a lasting impression (on your wallet J). In no particular order (I had to cheat - looked at my reading list over the last 2 years):
- Confessions of a Lingerie Addict - Jennifer Ashley (I actually got weepy over this book)
- Enchanted, Inc. - Shanna Swendson
- Mr Perfect - Linda Howard
- Open Season - Linda Howard
- A Bend in the Road - Nicholas Sparks
- Hissy Fit - Mary Kay Andrews
- Ain’t She Sweet - Susan Elizabeth Phillips
- Someone Like You
- Sweet Home Alabama
- Raising Helen
- Save the Last Dance
- Coyote Ugly (I just love the movie)
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

6 Comments:
whoo hoo! I'm the first to kung fui!
I enjoyed Enchanted, Inc very much! I'm glad to see it listed in your favorite books.
And you must be the reason they still write those secret baby books!
Maili, you have some funky characters you might want to fix ;)
9/04/2005 12:55:00 am
Angie - thanks for the heads up. It took me a while to figure out what you meant as it looked fine at my end. The others said they were seeing the same problem. I hope it's solved now. :) Cheers.
9/04/2005 01:42:00 am
thanks for the good words.
I still see the funky characters everytime there's a contraction like "can't or Ain't"
i just bought the new Bastion Club book by Stephanie Laurens and the new Barbara Plum book. (don't remember the title offhand).
9/04/2005 03:09:00 am
Great interview. I also loved Enchanted, Inc!
9/04/2005 03:11:00 am
you're welcome Maili. Looks fine on my end now :)
9/05/2005 12:03:00 am
Thanks again Maili for the interview.
as for the "secret baby" books, i should qualify that statement. I like a well written secret baby story. I dont like all of them.
9/06/2005 05:35:00 am
Post a Comment
<< Home