Friday, September 2

The Aftermath of Katrina

I blog hopped all morning, reading updates about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and floodings, and all I'm seeing is the negative side of the human nature, e.g. looters. So, I thought it'd be nice to put up photos of people who made a lot of efforts to help each other under very trying circumstances. These are a few I managed to find among many. Click on an image to enlarge.

Terri Jones, right, and others try to cool down fellow flood victim Dorothy Divic, 89, center, who was over heated and exhausted at the convention center in New Orleans. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)
Henry Winter is helped on shore as he and his wife, Heloise Winter, background center in boat, are rescued from their lower 9th Ward home by New Orleans Police Department SWAT officers. (AP Photo/The Houston Chronicle, Melissa Phillip)
Firefighters rescue stranded residents Monday in Mobile. (CNN)
Mississippi's Bay St. Louis Emergency Management Agency volunteers rescue the Taylor family from the roof of their car. They were trapped on U.S. Highway 90 since Monday. (CNN)
Police Officer Terrence Gray, right, helps evacuate Lovie Mae Allen and children from their homes in Gulfport on Monday. (CNN)
Brian Wiseman, left, and Joe Douglas help pull a stranded motorist from high waters in a parking lot Tuesday in Bowling Green. (CNN)
Rescuers help 73-year-old Grace White to escape from her flooded ninth ward home through a hole cut in the roof. (AP/Arthur D Lauck)
Shante Gruld carries Janeka Garner, 5, to safety after they were rescued from their flooded home by boat in New Orleans, Monday Morning, Aug. 29, 2005. (AP photo by Eric Gay)
A National Guard member tries to calm a young man after one of his relatives was taken away to a hospital from the Superdome in New Orleans, Tuesday. (AP photo/The Dallas Morning News by Michael Ainsworth)
Volunteers sort through donated hurricane relief supplies at the Kiss 95.1 radio station in Charlotte, N.C. Tuesday. Radio station listeners and local businesses have donated thousands of items to be trucked to the Gulf Coast states affected by Hurricane Katrina. (AP photo/The Charlotte Observer by Todd Sumlin)
Irma Simmons is carried by New Orleans Fire and Rescue officer Thor Barr after being rescued in a New Orleans Police Department boat in the 7th Ward of the city, Monday, after Hurricane Katrina moved through the area. (AP Photo/The Palm Beach Post by Gary Coronado)
Tyronika Phillips (left) and LaChe Perkins (right) help Tapica Sparkman down St. Charles Ave for the New Orleans Convention Center after she fell and hurt her foot getting out of her home. Wednesday. (Irwin Thompson/The Dallas Morning News)
Residents search for survivors by boat in the neighborhoods surrounding Lake Pontchatrain one day after Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans. (AFP/Getty Images photo by Chris Graythen)
Kelly Padgett, left, and Rachel Sexton, second from left, watch as 6-year-old Kenrin Robertson, center, and his mother, Seione Davis, right, open birthday presents the two women brought him, along with a birthday cookie cake Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2005, in Shreveport, La. The women heard about how Robertson was spending his birthday at the American Red Cross shelter at the Louisiana State University-Shreveport due to Hurricane Katrina evacuations and decided to help a child celebrate his birthday. Robertson and Davis are from St. Bernard Parish in South Louisiana. (AP photo/The Times by Jessica Leigh)
Alice Wilder,10, Elena Page, 13, Coco Wilder,12, and Mary Perot, 12, from left, call on passing cars, as they continue to collect funds for victims of Hurricane Katrina, Thursday, Sept. 1, 2005, in Brighton, N.Y. The money will be doanted to the Ameriacn Red Cross. AP Photo/ Carlos Ortiz
Refugees, Marilyn Ross (left) and Agnes Baloney (right) of Hahnville, La. wave signs during the Houston Comets first round playoff game against the Seattle Storm on Tuesday in Houston. Those taking refuge from Hurricane Katrina were let into the game free of charge. (AP photo by Jessica Kourkounis) The Survival of New Orleans blog Housing Opportunities for Katrina Survivors BBC's Disaster Relief Romancing the Blog's Close to Home Fantasy, SciFi & Gamers Relief Effort Hurricane Katrina relief tournaments Additions: The Humane Society of the U.S. Disaster Relief Fund Danielle's great suggestion: Mennonite Disaster Service Be good, be bad & be safe.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK you, Maili, your blog was a nice respite for my rising blood pressure. I've been in a foul mood all morning and it was nice to come here and actually see some positive light on the rescue attempts and the heroic efforts of so many.

9/02/2005 03:51:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you, Maili. It was wonderful to see these photos of the good side of people.

One more link for you: Mennonite Disaster Service. This is a local organization that I've supported for years; they specialize in rebuilding homes. Their staff and volunteers are already down in LA to begin the clean-up.

9/02/2005 03:52:00 pm

 
Blogger Karen Scott said...

Maili did you see that guy last night who'd taken matters into his own hands and was bringing water from his home to the people queuing to get gas?

I thought that was lovely.

9/02/2005 04:23:00 pm

 
Blogger Jordan Summers said...

THANK YOU, Maili! I really needed to see those photos. (((Hugs))) I know good things are happening, but it's easy to forget with the news jumping on the sleazy side of the fence.


The riots in L.A. were the same way. The news only showed the crap and none of the people camped in the parks after the quake, meeting their neighbors for the first time and fixing food for everyone.

9/02/2005 05:16:00 pm

 
Blogger Tara Marie said...

Thank you.

It is such a blessing to see the good, when the evil at times seems so pervasive. There are people working so hard to help but they are being over shadowed by those without consciences.

9/02/2005 05:28:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Maili! Thank you!!!

9/02/2005 07:27:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Màili. The sweetness of throwing a birthday party for a little boy in those circumstances helps restore one's faith in people amidst the horrors and suffering.

9/02/2005 09:40:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, bless you for this post, darlin'. This picture here made me cry when I saw it earlier:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/08/0831_050831_new_orleans.html

I think it's because I own an orange cat myself that made extra-susceptible.

9/02/2005 10:02:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops, forgot to make my URL into an actual link.

Here's the pic that made me snivel a bit.

9/02/2005 10:02:00 pm

 
Blogger CindyS said...

Thank you Maili for the breath of fresh air and for taking the time to find all these photos and information. Of all the photos, I had only seen one before so the good news is not being covered as voraciously. The very first picture has my heart.

I believe those left behind have been extraordinary in helping each other. I'm just wishing that aid would get there faster.

Candy, I heard on the news that they had rescued 80 pets on the streets and sent them to a shelter. All 80 were adopted out that day. Makes me weepy to know that people really do care about the animals also.

CindyS

9/02/2005 11:08:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chiming in with another "thank you" for posting these. It's frustrating that the good people do is so often skipped over to focus on the bad.

And on a totally shallow note, I wouldn't mind at all being rescued by Officer Terrence Gray...

9/03/2005 03:44:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to add a thank you for the "good news" focus, Maili. Too many times this week the news has raised my blood pressure to dangerous levels.

And, yes, I'm back online after a month or more of health problems (minor but time-consuming), family crisises and, on top of it all, intermintent to no Internet access at time. Not sure when I'll get back to my blog or if I even will, but here's hoping. (G)

I may just decide to reactivate my website instead.

9/03/2005 06:42:00 pm

 
Blogger lost said...

Thank you all. I honestly don't know what to say, except to say I hope that everyone in affected areas will have their lives back ASAP, and thanks.

Bev - welcome back. You've been missed. :)

9/03/2005 08:24:00 pm

 
Blogger lost said...

P.S.

LOL, Michele, I had a similar thought about Officer Terrence Gray when I stumbled across the photo. He's indeed very dishy. :P

9/03/2005 08:26:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home