Wednesday, August 31

Drowning in Bookland

Some of you have been really patient for my book reviews [backdated to March] and I admit I'm still not done with them. Many are in form of rough notes. For the record, here is the 2005 list of novels I read:

And what makes it worse, that is just half of the current list. Hm, perhaps I should cut down on reading or, at least, stop promising to friends I'd write my views for this blog. :D The problem is I tend to ramble, which usually requires a heavy dose of my internal editing scissors. I think one way of grappling with this mountain is ... uh, I don't know. Any suggestions? :D I'm hearing my gran's dark-toned motto circling in my left ear, "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today". *headwall* Whoever came up with that ought to be shot. Link of the Day: Kitten War Be good, be bad & be safe.

10 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Lots of books.

8/31/2005 09:55:00 pm

 
Blogger Jordan Summers said...

What did you think of the Madeline Hunter series? I have them, but I haven't started reading them yet.

8/31/2005 10:22:00 pm

 
Blogger Alyssa said...

Wow, that is a lot of books! If I were trying to blog about them all, I'd do them in groups of five or so and limit myself to 100 words about each one book. That would make the task seem more manageable.

When I saw the title of this entry, I thought maybe you had received the M-bag full of books.

9/01/2005 01:47:00 am

 
Blogger CindyS said...

Let's make this about me for a minute ;) What did you think of If Angels Burn and My Demon's Kiss?

To make this not about me - puh-lease - I would start with the books you liked the most, follow with the ones you hated and then decide whether the meh reads are worth it. At least, that's how I broke my down and I don't think I did any word counts. Hey, we're back to me again!

CindyS

PS I read Houston, We Have A Problem and other than the weird names the heroine had for male and female parts I didn't mind the book. Although she should have tossed him over earlier and made him beg. This might be one of my 'meh' reads. I'll have to look it up.

9/01/2005 04:06:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, start with the ones you liked most...

9/01/2005 10:05:00 am

 
Blogger Karen Scott said...

I've read quite a few books that I want to blog about too, but honestly, some days I can't be arsed.

9/01/2005 10:12:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maili, I wanted to ask you about LLG's "The Marriage Bed" What did you think in comparison to her other books (if you've read them)

I was quickly becoming a fan girl, but The Marriage Bed to me wasn't as good as the first two in this series.

9/01/2005 01:06:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it was about me, rather than CindyS - I'm always trawling for recommendations, so I'd mostly like to know what you thought was good. (And what you thought of the Wen Spencer.)
And if there was anything you hated, that might be fun too...

Or just run your eye down the list and blog about the three that jump out at you, and leave it at that.

Or, forget about the books, and blog about your grandmother... I've only a few memories of my grandmother from very early childhood before she became confused.
She taught us to break gingernuts with our elbows, and if they broke into exactly three pieces, you got a wish. I'd forgotten that, and now I've remembered, I'm sitting here thinking 'Huh?'.

9/01/2005 01:34:00 pm

 
Blogger Tara Marie said...

Nice list of books.

Stop beating yourself up and putting so much pressure on yourself, if you really don't want to review them don't. Your blog is great without the reviews.

If you really want to review books, why not start fresh with what you're currently reading?

9/01/2005 02:05:00 pm

 
Blogger lost said...

Nicole - That has to be the understatement of the year.

Jordan - In one word? Uneven. In other words, if you have nothing better to do, read 'em.

Alyssa - thanks for the great suggestion. I did go with your idea but my comments went over the word limit, so I think I've partly succeeded to keep it to manageable level. So far I've written a group of ten books, so thanks for that idea. :) Oh, I wish that I had that many books in a day! :D

Cindy - Well, as you'll see by now, I've blogged about 'If Angels Burn', but will do My Demon's Kiss much later. Thanks for the suggestion, but I rarely had books that I 100% liked or disliked as I generally find flaws and merits in a book, so that suggestion would be tough for me to follow. :>

Julia - Ack. I started with a meh review. I'm going to be zen about it. Ooomphhh.

Karen - hm, is it a British thing, then? Being so lazy? :D

Sharon - oh, I think I've read all but three of Laura Lee Guhrke's books. It's a tough question because half of her booklist is very different from the other half of her booklist. I'm a fan of her older books, which I feel are more adventurous than her later books. I've written a blog about The Marriage Bed, which I think will be uploaded later this week. :> Thanks.

Marianne - heh, I went with the 'run your eye down the list 'til it jumps out at you' suggestion, so thanks for that. I've blogged about my gran in the past, but admittedly, not always in complimentary light. Still, it's what made her so adorable in my eyes. Hm, I'll have a dig through archives and repost them soon. Thanks for that and for the laugh over your ginger nuts anecdote.

Tara Marie - Ow. I wasn't beating myself up! I was whining. A big difference. Still, thanks for the straight talk. That packed a good kick up my bottom. Much appreciated. :)

9/01/2005 05:24:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home