Saturday, September 3

Speaking Engrish

The key to a woman's heart is an unexpected gift at an unexpected time.

-- Finding Forrester
Received this link through email and I found it funny enough to put it up on this blog:
Click on the image to visit the site
According to the Engrish FAQ, "Engrish can be simply defined as the humorous English mistakes that appear in Japanese advertising and product design." Here's my favourite and if your mind is usually in the gutter, this something rude may give you a [immature] giggle or two. The site is good for your soul. Go and see. I remember, years ago, I walked up and down in the rectangle-shaped 'square' city centre of Buenos Aires, trying to find a public toilet when I spotted a young boy walking by me, eating a sweet bar that had a word blazing across the cover: "Tw*t". When the word finally made its presence felt in my brain, I stopped and gaped. Oh, I wish I had the mind to chase after the boy and make him pose, holding up his sweet bar, for a photo. :D Hm, I'm thinking now that I still cannot forget how weird 'coke lite' [diet coke] tasted in Argentina. That's a very trivial thing to say, so I'll shut up. Be good, be bad & be safe.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Oh, my husband is a regular reader of Engrish. He occasionally forwards me the really funny stuff.

9/03/2005 10:01:00 pm

 
Blogger Rosario said...

Hah! Did I ever tell you about the store called "T*ts" here in Uruguay?

And Coca Light does taste weird in Buenos Aires, it's something in the water.

9/04/2005 12:54:00 am

 
Blogger CindyS said...

Bob and I had time on one of his business trips in Atlanta to go to the Coke Museum. There you could taste coke from different parts of the world. We couldn't believe what some of this stuff tasted like. They said that different areas having different herbs and palates needed Coke to taste different so that they would buy it.

I couldn't believe that that was the case but it made sense. We then got to see a mini-movie about how Coke is advertised in different parts of the world. It was really fascinating so if anyone here ever gets to Atlanta Georgia then I would suggest they get in to see this.

Also, in an anthropology course I was taking we talked about how hand gestures can mean something totally different in other countries. There was a fairly well known company that used the OK symbol. First finger and thumb make a circle while the other three fingers stick up. In university we had many cultures and our teacher remembers a group of people (I wish I could remember where from) started buying up these shirts and were laughing there asses off. She asked about it and she was told that where they are from, that symbol mean F-ck Off.

Course, nowadays, there are shirts here with the middle finger (our F-ck off) and you get desensitised to it.

CindyS

9/04/2005 06:06:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home