Reader Interview: Bam
Bam works as an Administrative Assistant and student and lives in San Diego, CA, USA, where she spreads her lurve for romance novels at It's Not Chick Porn! and for romance covers at It's Not Porn, I Swear! When you were a child, what did you usually read? I started out with the Babysitters' Club series by Ann M. Martin, then I branched out to R. L. Stine, Christopher Pike, and eventually V. C. Andrews. When I got sick of the "kid stuff", I started looking through my grandfather's old paperback pile and found Sidney Sheldon, Jackie Collins, Stephen King, and Harold Robbins (can you tell I love lurid melodrama?). I was thirteen when I read Perfect Partners by Jayne Ann Krentz and I've been hooked ever since. Apart from romance novels, what do you usually read if any? I also like to read classic British literature like Austen, Dickens, Trollope, and Fanny Burney. For a while there, I was on a Henry Fielding kick. I also read Stephen King, Christopher Moore, Bentley Little, and graphic novels by Frank Miller and Alan Moore. And as a romance reader? I like paranormal romance, but for a while there, I was only reading Regencies. I go through cycles. Mostly, I switch back and forth between contemporary and historicals. Do you have any weaknesses for certain themes, storylines, settings or such in romances? If so, what are they? I love a good "secret baby" story, but ha ha, I kid. I read a few HPs with the amnesia storyline where the heroine wakes up with no memory of her former life where she was a vicious bitch who was mean to everyone, so I started looking for those old HPs, but then I got sick of it. All kidding aside, I would read anything with a truly strong, kickass, take-charge heroine and a male who is not too alpha and actually likes to "talk". How do you make your selection when you buy romances? There are certain authors who are automatic buys for me, but sometimes, I just follow what Amazon recommends (I know, I know, I'm sheep). Occasionally, I would go to a bookstore, make a beeline for the romance section, and basically look at (gasp!) the covers. If I like the cover and the back blurb, I read the first fifteen pages and if I absolutely cannot put it down, I put it in my basket. Name top five favourite romance authors if any. In no particular order:
What are your pet peeves with romance novels? I hate stupid misunderstandings that could have been resolved if the leads had only sat down and talked about the issue, especially if it were an issue that wouldn't have been an issue if the hero/heroine had confessed, "I'm not who you think I am. I'm actually the twin brother/sister" within five minutes of meeting the love interest. I also can't stand it if the male is too alpha to the point of ridiculousness, like he would risk his and the heroine's lives because he's too damned stubborn to let the heroine help. Also, this is a given, but I hate TSTL heroines. When discussing romance novels and/or the Romance genre with fellow readers, which issues interest you most? I would like to reveal something profound here, but whenever I find myself in other romance forums, I have to confess that I'm only there in hopes that someone would be talking about man-titty and I could jump in. If an influential romance editor asks you for an opinion on the romance genre, what would you say? My opinion on the romance genre changes with every book I read. Sometimes, I would read a book that is so awful that I'm tempted to set my entire TBR pile on fire, but there have been instances where I've read a book and find myself thankful that I'm a romance reader because at that very moment, I think it's the best genre in the literary world. Name up to five romance novels that left you lasting impressions.- After the Night - Linda Howard
- Perfect Partners - Jayne Ann Krentz
- Goddess by Mistake - P.C. Cast
- Black Silk - Judith Ivory
- Stronger than Magic - Heather Cullman

- Harold and Maude
- Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love
- Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 (shut up, it's romantic)
- All About Eve
- Sin City (Marv and Goldie. Sigh.)

2 Comments:
Yes! Harold and Maude! I can't believe I forgot to list that as one of my favorite romantic comedies of all time.
Excellent interview, as always.
9/12/2005 12:48:00 am
Maili, I forgot to add Halloween. I loved the sexual tension between Laurie Strode and Michael Myers. And I was also impressed with the relentless way he pursued her. So sweet.
9/12/2005 03:02:00 am
Post a Comment
<< Home