Tuesday, February 28

Why is This Not a Surprise?

You Failed 8th Grade Math
Oh no, you only got 0/10 correct!
I tried really hard. I really did. I try not to be miffed, but I am. If I could get one, just one, right, I'd be skipping with joy. Heh. I'd just showed it to Will and he told me I was an idiot for giving it a try when I'm full well aware that I can't read numbers, so he suggested I should try something else. Something he knows I'd be good at. So, here is it:
You Failed 8th Grade Science
Sorry, you only got 1/8 correct!
*crying* Be good, be bad & be safe

17 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

woohoo! I got 10/10!

2/28/2006 03:26:00 pm

 
Blogger Bob & Muffintop said...

No surprises here- 6/10 on math & 7/10 on science. :(

Just looking at the math problems made my stomach hurt just like the old days. Science, though, I should've done better on.

2/28/2006 04:34:00 pm

 
Blogger Tara Marie said...

Okay, I'm a geek--LOL :)

9/10 math, 8/8 science. I'm still wondering which one of the math I got wrong.

2/28/2006 05:31:00 pm

 
Blogger ReneeW said...

Maili, you're excused because I saw your previous post and figured you must have watched Braveheart before taking the tests. Your brain was fried.

I got a perfect score on both, but I'd be slinking off in shame if I didn't given all the blood sweat and tears I shed for my math and comp. science degrees.

2/28/2006 05:42:00 pm

 
Blogger Suisan said...

Missed one on math, perfect score science. But the one I missed on math is making me slightly nutso.

Had to go look up a statistics reference page and relearn medains and modes. (But, hey, I could have used that time to vacuum. Learning is a higher calling.)

2/28/2006 09:33:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone explain four to me. I passed A-level math... favourite quote from Miss Trevor: "Marianne, anyone can get an 'E'." (You need to say it in a longsuffering tone.)

Should be able to work it out. I found the right answer by clicking each answer in turn till I scored 10/10, but that doesn't help me one bit.
x + 41/3 = 7.
To me that says x + 13.666etc = 7
which would make x -6.etc.

And if it's (X+41)/3 that makes X -20, which is even worse.

Can't be me, they must be wrong.

Help!

(And 6 out of 8 on the science - who knows what cell walls do? Keep the prisoners from escaping?)

2/28/2006 11:02:00 pm

 
Blogger Nicole said...

there's a space between the 4 and the 1/3.

3/01/2006 01:19:00 am

 
Blogger lost said...

P.S. Renee - I wish I could say my brain was fried, thanks to Braveheart, but I can't. The truth is where numbers are concerned, I'm a thicko.

I'll get you all, though! Y'hear?!

3/01/2006 01:29:00 am

 
Blogger Nicole said...

I'm sure you will, dear.

3/01/2006 01:37:00 am

 
Blogger lost said...

Sod you, Nicole! Get off my land! See my pitchfork? If you don't get off now, it'll be in your head. Would you like that, huh? Walking around with a pitchfork sticking out of your head?

I didn't think so. So shoo, you cheeky mare.

3/01/2006 01:41:00 am

 
Blogger Karen Scott said...

I got eight out of ten for the maths bit, I have no idea which ones I got wrong, seeing your score makes me feel better though *g*

3/01/2006 08:39:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you.

See, I wasn't wrong, I'm just suffering from a brand new disability: space-blindness [Dysgapua].

But thank you - sad as I am, I'd have fretted about where the answer came from.

3/01/2006 04:00:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Maili, random question - I hope it's not rude to ask - does it make a difference how the numbers are written down?
Would you find 'twenty' at all easier to process than '20'?

3/01/2006 04:13:00 pm

 
Blogger lost said...

Keishon - Pox on you! [But not your niece. She's too cute to be poxed. She can evil-laugh at me any time.] Anyway, pox on you! With love and all.

Karen S - Hey, where is your sense of comradeship?!

Marianne - *fake laugh* I'm so glad you feel better now. :D

Marianne II - No, not rude at all. Yes, having these written in words helps. A school teacher helped me to develop an incredibly helpful tactic which is to associate - since I have a better memory for a written language - certain words with images. So when I see 'twenty', I recall a certain associated image, which then reminds me it's a double-digit at bottom of a certain tier.
Today is a good day, so I can see that 20 is 20 but on a bad day, I can't tell the difference between 20 and any other similar shaped numbers. 6 is very similar to 0, 5, 8, 9, and sometimes 4. On my keyboard, each number is painted in colour [with nail polish!] to help me to separate from each other. Darkest number is 1 and lightest is 9, with 0 leaving blank. Sorry, that's more than you wanted to know. :D

3/01/2006 04:30:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, thank you, it's fascinating. We specialise in dyslexics in our family, so I've some idea about that, but I'd never heard of dyscalculia before.

Perhaps because I'm unfamiliar with it, it seems an odder thing: I can imagine looking at a written sentence and seeing gibberish, but it's harder to imagine a brain that differentiates between symbols when they're written as letters, but not when they're written as numbers.
Still, it's like dyslexia, once you know it exists, you start reassessing your assumptions about people.
In fact, I've a friend from university, who had failed maths O-level, and had a huge problem with first year logic, and I'm just wondering...

3/01/2006 08:46:00 pm

 
Blogger lost said...

I tend to rely on my ear, which is why written numbers help. When I'm not sure, I read it loud, which will then conjure an associated image that then helps me to determine its place in an artifical world that I created in my head. Admittedly, it's a hit-and-miss thing, but it's mostly hits, so it works for me.

Whereas with a number as a symbol, I can't read it loud to confirm what I think it means. I have to admit I also mistake single letters for numbers, especially if it's in a context that I associate with numbers, e.g. address format = Flat 6b.

Having said all that, even with written numbers, I still can't calcuate or count very well, mentally or on paper. I just can't do it. Anyhow, I have my own calcuator here at home to see me through. His name is Will. :>

Perhaps. My cousin once heard on radio that dyscalculia is one of most common yet most misunderstood disabilities in the world, yet many don't recognise it, so there is a, apparently, huge number of people who aren't aware that they have this. Perhaps your uni friend is one of them?

Sorry it's so long.

3/01/2006 09:35:00 pm

 
Blogger lost said...

My cousin once heard on radio that dyscalculia is one of most common yet most misunderstood disabilities in the world, yet many don't recognise it, so there is a, apparently, huge number of people who aren't aware that they have this. Perhaps your uni friend is one of them?

*sigh*

Remove 'yet many don't recognise it', please.

3/01/2006 09:36:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home