Err ... I was supposed to clean out my reference library [1,103 books, according to Will and his sore index finger), but I was busy having fun at artPad.
Here's one of my attempts: http://artpad.art.com/?iv3jankzyyw
If you have the time, I'd love to see your efforts. :D
Anyhow, I'm thinking that 2006 is good because Will hasn't burned down our kitchen. He set it on fire three times last year, but this year, he hasn't done so. Yet.
Oh, oh! Will surprised me with a late Valentine's present: a box of books! And straight from the US, too. It was supposed to arrive on the day of hearts, but ah, bless the Royal Mail's heart, it didn't arrive 'til today. Knowing what we all are like [read: we are a bunch of nosey cows], here is my list of valentine books from Will:
- Dark Melody - Christine Feehan
- Wild Rain - Christine Feehan
- Fever - Christine Feehan [bless Will's heart]
- Master of the Night - Angela Knight
- Master of the Moon - Angela Knight
- Unleash the Night - Sherrilyn Kenyon
- Seize the Night - Sherrilyn Kenyon
- Fantasy Lover - Sherrilyn Kenyon
- Dragonswan - Sherrilyn Kenyon
I did the proper act - going wild, kissing him like mad, and thanking him for about five minutes. Dishonest, I know, but while Will thinks he has the shell of a tortoise, he has the shell of a turtle.
So if I express disappointment, it'd put him off for a long,
long time. I once made a massive mistake of being honest about not liking an overcoat he bought me for my birthday and he's never bought me a clothing item since. So, I don't want him to stop buying me books, but with those books he got me so far, such as those by Karen Marie Moning and certain other authors I'd gladly spend a penny on ...
Obviously, it has to stop because I don't want him to waste money. He doesn't like buying book tokens because these are too 'impersonal' for his taste and, get this, he isn't keen on taking my wish lists because he likes to 'surprise' me. Surprise me, he certainly did. A-many times, too. And not always in a good way.
Oh, I wish there is a rule book on how to handle this sort of thing without poking holes in a bloke's ego. I really like it when he buys me books because it makes my heart all a-glow, but after a decade with him, I still haven't quite grasped how to say it in a way that it'd not affect
his ego ...
pride ...
him enough to stop buying me books. Any ideas?
Link of the Day: the Vampire Name Generator
[Mine is 'Goddess of The Night', a.k.a. 'Demon of Beijing', hence the blog title]
Be good, be bad & be safe.
9 Comments:
That's an *um* interesting list of books, at least he tried, I get gift cards from my hubby and they're much appreciated.
My vampire name--Countess of The Arctic?
2/22/2006 06:36:00 pm
Tara Marie - yeah, at least he tried ... *sigh* You get gift cards? You lucky thing. ... I don't think I like you any more, Countess of the Arctic. :>
2/22/2006 06:37:00 pm
That's hard.
Nick's mother is always throwing in the gift receipt with anything and never gets offended if you take something back, so that's usually how he thinks too.
He actually hasn't bought me books yet though. It's usually a "why don't you go spend such and such amount of money at the bookstore".
*sigh* I'm not quite sure how to tell a guy who won't take hints, like Will seems to be. That would be hard. And we DO want him to continue buying you books. But good books.
2/22/2006 06:47:00 pm
Uhm..well, Maili, I've no idea how to cope with someone like that. I keep a 'journal' of wanted books on a shelf with the address book & other such items. Husband uses it to order books for me. I figure that way a) he doesn't ask me for a list so it's always a 'surprise' since he never tells me in advance & b) the journal is full enough (500+ entires going back several years) that I can't keep track of them all.
My vampire name is Empress of Moldova, Haunt of the Flesh. Not too bad, LOL
2/22/2006 10:33:00 pm
Artpad needs one of those little hand icons, so you can push the picture up & see what he's looking so happy about.
As for Will - I'm a non-blogger so I don't understand the relationship etiquette of living with a blogger - doesn't he read this stuff? I'd be consumed with curiosity if my dh blogged.
I have a hang-up over unsolictited books - in normal life I'd read The Big Boring Book of Accountant's Socks if it happened across my path, but give me an unasked for book as a present... Ick.
2/22/2006 10:45:00 pm
Nicole - yes, Will is usually like that, giving me 'permission' to go crazy with his credit card. :D I'll find a solution. Soon, I hope! :) Thanks.
Amanda - actually, that's a good idea. I usually give him one short list, but it's not occurred to me to create a long one, or a journal, to retain the surprise element. Thanks for that idea, Empress!
Marianne - you have a dirty mind! lol! It took me a bit to figure out what you meant about my masterpiece. Will used to read this blog, but all this constant blogging about books and other 'girly stuff' eventually bored him. Only times he does check this blog is when I drag him over to check numbers and similar details for me, but he's never in the mood to read them. :)
If he actually read this, he'll probably give me the Eye, but that's it. :) Actually ... I think I'll point him over to check out the Anime/Manga blog entry as I think it'd interest him ... *blink*
But, seriously, I do have my rules when blogging about my family, including Will. I don't reveal their actual surnames or other details that they don't want strangers to know about because I value my life too much. :>
2/22/2006 11:07:00 pm
So is that your rendition of Will there? Love the little heart in the chest. And I still chuckle about the Highlander books your sweetie got you.
2/23/2006 12:31:00 am
Whatever happened to all those Scottish romances Will bought you? Er, that was you wasn't it? Or maybe I'm confused.
2/24/2006 09:53:00 pm
Kristie J. - God, no. Will isn't that pretty. :D
ReneeW - Yes, it was me. Err, those books are buried deep in my TBR mountain. *blink innocently* In fairness, I think I got myself a couple of Scottish Historical roms to get over my "issues" with this sub-genre [and if I remember rightly, failed miserably], but Will got me a few Karen Marie Moning books. I did try to read one and ... well, I think I'm still deeply truamatised.
2/25/2006 02:26:00 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home