Friday, February 17

My Aunt's Runaway Mouth / Books / This Blog

You are looking at one exhausted but extremely happy cow. Next time my aunt asks to stay here, I'll take the first plane out of the country. I'm utterly serious here. I love and worship her, but by fuck, she can talk an ear off a statue. When she and my uncle drove off, Will and I stood on doorstep, waiting and watching and hoping, while their blue car slowly disappeared over hills. Once we checked with each other that they've truly left, Will and I stuck our arms in the air and cheered very loudly. Honestly, you have no idea how happy we were during that moment. Anyhow, Will decided to celebrate by setting me free in a bookshop earlier today:

Shadow Touch - Marjorie M. Liu Dark ??? [a X-Men book] - Marjorie M. Liu Wicked Nights- Nina Bangs I Served The King Of England - Bohumil Hrabal Hot Spell - Meljean Brook, Emma Holly, et al Awaken Me Darkly - Gena Showalter The Naked Truth - Amy J. Fetzer Kept - D.J. Taylor The Dare - Susan Kearney
I am starting to claw my way out of the reading slump, too, by re-reading:
Heaven Sent - Pamela Morsi Courting Miss Hattie - ditto Out - Natuso Kirono - the story itself bored me now, but I love the translator's interpretation. I think he did a fantastic job. Simplistic yet addictive. War for the Oaks - Emma Bull -- sadly dated, but still a favourite. Silver Lining - Maggie Osborne -- I wasn't wild about this story when it first came out and after rereading this, I don't think I'll ever like it that much. It started off well but somewhere along the line, it fell apart, which is a shame, I think.
I tried reading Awaken Me Darkly and couldn't get into it at all. Another time maybe. Unfortunately, it's same with Nina Bangs's book. :( I'll have better luck with Susan Kearney's The Dare. *fingers crossed* I talked Will into agreeing to watch Pride & Prejudice [2005] on DVD last night. While he put the DVD into player, he made some usual noises about "oh-so-girly *high-pitched mock giggle* movies", generally taking the piss. Half way through the film, I commented that perhaps we should stop watching because his favourite TV programme would be on, he didn't respond. I repeated my comment. No response. I jabbed his arm, and he looked at me with a sharp "What?" That was when I realised he was so far in Wright's world that he never heard me. Ha! He also got a bit tearful twice. :O When I noticed his eyes were watery, I asked, "Are you crying?" [Okay, in retrospective, I shouldn't.] He coughed a short 'Oh, please' laugh, with his eyes still glued to TV screen, but I could see that he was trying very hard not to blink. Soft bastard. When the film ended, I asked for his opinion. He shrugged and said, "... it was all right". Yeah, right. It's strange because when I write this blog, I'm quite conscious that I haven't quite got my 'blog voice' back. By that, I mean blogging with ease. I feel I'm a stranger in my own blog. Or rather, an intruder. I don't know if this makes sense. Also, I am still trying to figure out how the f. I managed to be a such link slut for so long yet I haven't the foggiest how I'd done it. Earlier I had problems finding links for authors listed above. That's one of my flaws, actually. I might be a quick learner, but I'm also a quick forgetter. On the bright side, I'm feeling it's time to return to me as a romance reader. That means I'm ready to get geeky about books as well as to fondle books on my shelves. I'm going off into romance blogland, making a pest of myself now. :) Be good, be bad & be safe.

9 Comments:

Blogger meljean brook said...

I just got Liu's SHADOW TOUCH from Amazon today, but my sister promptly stole it. I say 'bah' on all relatives living anywhere near me.

And HOT SPELL! :D

I'm in a terrible romance reading (and blogging) slump -- I've read two, I think, in the last month or three (not counting rereads of favorites). Even the Susan Carroll I'd been wanting to get for years I ended up skimming. I'm not sure if it was the book, or me.

Glad to see you back!

2/19/2006 05:27:00 am

 
Blogger Megan Frampton said...

Glad you're starting to get back on your feet--and SO envious P&P is on DVD there already (it is the new one, right?). You'll find your blogging voice again, just imagine ranting in your kitchen (or wherever you rant), and you'll have it.

2/19/2006 01:20:00 pm

 
Blogger Tara Marie said...

Heaven Sent, Courting Miss Hattie, and Silver Lining are all on my keeper shelf, great books!

Hotspell--Meljean's is the best of the 4.

Welcome back.

2/19/2006 04:23:00 pm

 
Blogger lost said...

Meljean - heheheh, re: Shadow Touch. I feel for you, re: the slump. I think I've finally figured out why. :P HOT SPELL -- hey, it has your story! I thought I should vote with my money to let your publisher know that there are some saddos out here who want more of your unique insani--err ... universe.

Megan - aw, thanks. P&P DVD has a lot of interesting stuff, ranging from a documentary to an explanation of how 19th century courtship works. A few interviews, too. Let's hope that the R1 DVD version will have similar goodies. :) Rant? Oh, thanks for that, because I have two rants waiting in my head. Both are about romances. Hur hur.

Tara Marie - CMH ... respect. I had forgotten what Heaven Sent was like, so it was fun rediscovering it all over again. I forgot to mention that I also read GARTERS. SILVER LINING is on your keeper list? Did you not mind Low Down has a personality transplant half way through the story? Cheers for the welcome, too. :)

2/19/2006 05:21:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had company from out of state this week, too. They left Friday and got home just before a snowstorm blew through that night. I was sure it would take me a couple of days to recover but, amazingly, I actually decided to read a book yesterday - LADY ANNE'S DANGEROUS MAN. Can't remember the author at the moment and the book is in the other room but I really enjoyed this book and especially the different time period - Restoration England. Will post more in a blog later today.

Good to have you back, Maili.

2/19/2006 05:48:00 pm

 
Blogger Tara Marie said...

Did you not mind Low Down has a personality transplant half way through the story?

LOL--Yeah, well, I guess I kind of overlook it because I like the plot enough to cough it up to "finding her femininity." I enjoyed the evil fiance sub-plot. I don't read a lot of westerns--Maggie Osborne is a favorite.

2/19/2006 09:09:00 pm

 
Blogger Tara Marie said...

let's try that again, I've got a head cold from hell and have coughing on the brain. That should be "toss it up."

2/20/2006 12:19:00 am

 
Blogger lost said...

Bev -- you have my respect. I had no idea how talkative she can be. If I knew, I'd never agree to her staying here for a fortnight. Will and I didn't talk much over weekend because we didn't have any amount of silence. There's truth to a saying: Silence is Golden. Or something like it. :)

Tara Marie - I'm a huge Maggie O. fan, too. :) I think, for me, SL is one of her weakest books, but I definitely can see why it's on your keeper self. It has many great moments. I think my favourite is the one where she gathers courage by drawing heavily on whisky before setting his arm in front of the family. :)

2/20/2006 01:42:00 am

 
Blogger lost said...

weakest = weak

Hope your head cold will clear up sharpish, you poor mite. Get some plenty of rest, won't you? xx

2/20/2006 01:43:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home