Howling in the Night
Yay, I've been out of the cage twice within twenty four hours. Ooh, how ambitious! Here is a list of paranormal romances that I plan to buy. It's not extensive as a search was very sketchy as time wasn't on my side. I can't put in book covers as I usually do, so I'm sorry for the plain look here.
- Touch the Dark - Karen Chance [June 2006]
Cassandra Palmer can see the future and communicate with spirits-talents that make her attractive to the dead and the undead. The ghosts of the dead aren't usually dangerous; they just like to talk...a lot. The undead are another matter. Like any sensible girl, Cassie tries to avoid vampires. But when the bloodsucking Mafioso she escaped three years ago finds Cassie again with vengeance on his mind, she's forced to turn to the vampire Senate for protection. The undead senators won't help her for nothing, and Cassie finds herself working with one of their most powerful members, a dangerously seductive master vampire-and the price he demands may be more than Cassie is willing to pay...
I usually avoid romances and novels that feature psychic heroines [it's a case of being heartily sick of them after putting up with the Flood of Psychic Heroines, 1990s], but for this one, I'm willing to tip my toe in the same-old lake.
- Dates From Hell - Kim Harrison, Lynsay Sands, Kelley Armstrong, Lori Handeland [April 2006] Kelley Armstrong? I'm there already. While we are here, check out her amusing online novella, The Case of El Chupacabra.
- Your Planet or Mine? - Susan Grant
It’s Bridget Jones’s Diary meets War of the Worlds when a scandal-plagued California state senator finds out that her "imaginary" childhood friend is anything but when he tracks her down twenty years later in an aisle in the grocery store, a sexy, armor-clad interstellar warrior demanding her help in averting an imminent alien invasion.
It has all hallmarks of a romantic comedy, but I'm not too sure if it's actually a romantic comedy. Still, it's on my list. According to Susan Grant's website, Jane Jasper's sister's story, The Assassin Who Loved Chocolate, will be released sometime in early 2007.
- Awaiting the Moon - Donna Lea Simpson [February 2006]
It is said that werewolves roam the woods around Wolfram Castle—but Elizabeth Stanwycke, newly arrived tutor to the Count's niece, is not a child to be frightened by bedtime stories. Of more pressing concern is her attraction to the mysterious Count.
I'm actually not a fan of gothic or romances that feature governesses or children, but it's a werewolf historical romance by a new-to-me author, so it's on the list.
- Happy Hour at Casa Dracula - Marta Acosta [July 2006]
Vampires. Margaritas. Mayhem. What's a girl to do when she's hidden away at the home of sophisticated vampires and her ex-boyfriend wants to drive a stake through her heart?
The title amuses me enough to put it on Books to Buy list.

14 Comments:
I've had all these on my list except the Simpson one. I decided to wait for reviews first. I'm already getting Dates from Hell.
1/28/2006 05:56:00 pm
I'm so out of the reading loop, I haven't heard of most of these *sigh*.
But not Lover Eternal by JR Ward?
1/28/2006 06:03:00 pm
Hmmm.. will you post a word or two about them when you've read them? Especially the vampire ones? Some of them sound interesting, but I'm very wary of new to me authors unless someone else says maybe.
1/28/2006 10:58:00 pm
Hi Maili, off topic...
Here is part of your list, it's the part of the list I know I hadn't read:
o Lip Kisses - Stella Chaplin [UK]
o Mean Season - Heather Cochran [US]
o What's Up, Pussycat? - Alexandra Potter [UK]
o Going La La - Alexandra Potter [it's one of her weaker books, but it's my first AP book, which makes it a comfort read] [UK]
o Do You Come Here Often? - Alexandra Potter [UK]
o Come Together - Josie Lloyd and Emlyn Rees [UK]
o If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend - Alison Pace [US]
o A Clean Slate - Laura Caldwell [US]
o 32AA - Michelle Cunnah [UK, but I consider this book [US], though; it's quite strange because 32AA is 'British humour in American context']
o Hi-Fidelity - Nick Hornby [UK]
o My Favorite Mistake - Beth Kendrick [US]
o The Next Big Thing - Johanna Edwards [US]
o Luscious Lemon - Heather Swain [US]
o Playing James - Sarah Mason [UK]
o The Rose Revived - Katie Fforde [UK]
o Stately Pursuits - Katie Fforde [UK]
o Good in Bed - Jennifer Weiner [US]
o Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field - Melissa Nathan [UK]
o Persuading Annie - Melissa Nathan [I didn't like The Waitress and The Nanny] [UK]
o Just Friends - Robyn Sisman [American humour in British context]
o Summer In The Land Of Skin - Jody Gehrman [US]
o Love is a Four Letter Word - Claire Calman [UK]
o Asking for Trouble - Elizabeth Young [UK]
o A Girl's Best Friend - Elizabeth Young [UK]
o Fair Game - Elizabeth Young [UK]
o Calling on Lily - Louise Harwood [takes place in Wales!] [UK]
o Getting Over Jack Wagner - Elise Juska [US]
o The Hazards of Sleeping Alone - Elise Juska [US]
o Pants on Fire - Maggie Alderson [mixed feelings; I liked it because of its Aussie setting, which is my weakness] [AUS]
o Mad About the Boy - Maggie Alderson [ditto] [AUS]
o Kissing in Technicolor - Jane Mendle [US]
o Nadia Knows Best - Jill Mansell [UK]
o Sophie's Bakery for the Broken Hearted - Lolly Winston [US]
o Kiss Chase - Fiona Walker [UK]
o Mister Posterior and the Genius Child - Emily Jenkins [US]
o Rachel's Holiday - Marian Keyes [Irish]
o Time After Time - Sue Haasler [UK]
I hope this helps.
Tara
1/28/2006 11:10:00 pm
Oooo, I think I might have found somemore:
o Bitten – Kelley Armstrong
o Dancing With Clara – Mary Balogh
o The Notorious Rake – Mary Balogh
o The Emerald Necklace - Diana Brown
o Cherish This Moment – Sandra Canfield
o Conquer the Night – Sandra Canfield
o Jerchio - Sandra Canfield
o Night Into Day – Sandra Canfield
o The Daughter – Jasmine Cresswell
o Bad to the Bone - Debra Dixon
o Better Than Before - Judith Duncan
o Dangerous Waters - Amy J. Fetzer
o Her Heart’s Embrace – Rene J. Garrod
o The Trouble with Valentine's Day – Rachel Gibson
o Bad For Each Other - Kate Hathaway
o The Vampire Viscount - Karen Harbaugh
o Always to Remember - Lorraine Heath
o Sweet Lullaby – Lorraine Heath
o Remember My Heart - Janis Reams Hudson
o A Countess Under the Stairs - Eva Ibboston
o The Shadowy Horses - Susanna Kearsley
o Four Men and a Lady – Alison Kent
o Fallen From Grace - Laura Leone
o The Shadow Runners - Liz Maverick
o Stitches in Time – Barbara Michaels
o Do You Come Here Often? – Alexandra Potter
o Going La La – Alexandra Potter
o Someone Wonderful - Kate Rothwell
o Unmarked Man - Darlene Scalera
o Till the Stars Fall - Kathleen Gilles Seidel
o Catspaw – Anne Stuart
o Amazon Lily - Theresa Weir
o Bad Karma - Theresa Weir
o Loving Jenny - Theresa Weir
o Some Kind of Magic – Theresa Weir
o Passion's Springtime - Lauren Wilde
o In the Midnight Rain – Ruth Wind
o The Cinderella Solution - Cathy Yardley
I hope these lists are yours, if not, I'm not sure where I found them--LOL.
Tara
1/28/2006 11:13:00 pm
I have the Grant on my my list but must confess I haven't heard of the others. I'll have to see how you like them
1/29/2006 01:25:00 am
Sorry, one more thing.
I think the first list I posted was you're "chick lit" list.
I'm pretty sure the second is from you "favorites" list, but I deleted the ones I knew I had read leaving only about a third of the whole list.
Both of these lists were in "My Documents" tells you how often I even look at that file and I don't think I've ever purged it--what a mess--LOL.
1/29/2006 10:05:00 am
Hmm the imaginary friend one sounds interesting. I usually avoid romantic comedies. More often than not I find the author has tried TOO hard to be funny, and, well, they're not *g*
1/30/2006 09:09:00 pm
Nicole - Ooh, let me know what you think of DATES FROM HELL. I'd ignore it if it wasn't for Kelley Armstrong.
AngieW - don't worry. I learnt from yesterday's chat with Sybil and CW I'm so out of the loop on book news that I'd need a map to find my way home. No, I don't think I'll get Ward's LOVER ETERNAL. I tried her first one and the names are a tad too distracting. I mean, those names had me laughing a few times, which I don't think the author intended. Perhaps when I'm desperate for a vampire rom, I'll finish DARK LOVER.
Amanda - yeah, sure, I will write about those books. Most likely I'll blog about Patricia Briggs's MOON CALLED first as I have it right here. *pats book* My sister is going home this Thursday, so I'll be a free woman from thereon. That means READ! BLOG! WRITE! CHAT! BUY! RANT! and on it goes. :D
Tara Marie - bless you! Yes, the first list is from my "lecture" about Chick Lit in response to those who 'trashed' Chick Lit without even reading any. The second one is my Keeper list. Thanks, mite!
Kristie J. - I haven't heard of most authors listed, so that makes it exciting for me, I think. I was getting truly bored with seeing same old names, even those I like.
Tara Marie - you guessed right. The first list is for those who want to try Chick Lit [it looks like you've removed my comments next to certain titles?]. The second one is indeed my Keeper list. I'd love to know what you think of those listed books you read.
1/31/2006 12:51:00 pm
I have Moon Called here, but haven't read it yet. Patricia Briggs used to be a local author when I living in WA, but I always missed her signings when she was in town. I wish now that I'd kept her earlier books when I went off to college. Many boxes got thrown out from water damage while my parents were moving and I still don't know what all was lost.
1/31/2006 04:50:00 pm
Tara Marie - ...The second one is indeed my Keeper list. I'd love to know what you think of those listed books you read.
I'm working on my thoughts, but OMG it's long. I'll try posting it in the next few days.
Tara
2/02/2006 02:39:00 pm
Maili- I'd like to dip my toe into the great unknown, otherwise known as manga/anime, but I've no idea what is worth reading & what is to be avoided. I saw the new HQ manga romance it really ..er, was yucky. Do you read manga & if so what do you recommend? Maybe a good website? Help! TIA
2/02/2006 07:25:00 pm
I'm going to have to grab Touch of Dark. It sounds interesting.
2/02/2006 08:08:00 pm
I've got the Simpson book...the others I haven't even heard of.
2/15/2006 08:29:00 am
Post a Comment
<< Home