Friday, January 13

Still Slogging

Ah, sod it. I may as well as to 'fess up why I have been so erratic with updating this blog these days. I had no intention to reveal on this blog, but I'm feeling guilty, so I'm going to say it. Short and quick. Like ripping a band aid off fast. Before I'd change my mind. I would appreciate it if you would not post sympathies or such as I had enough to last me a lifetime. [Well, except for jokes or funny anecdotes which I would appreciate!] My mother passed away early last month and, although we all in the family expected that to happen for a long time, her passing has unexpectedly and completely knocked me off my feet. I'm cringing to admit that I am struggling with depression at the moment. I do have good days, when I feel perky enough to have some fun, but these days I'm very introspective and self-centred, preferring to live in my cave inside my head. I haven't read much last month and this month, so I really haven't anything to say. When I do try to blog, it seems that it always ends up being about my mum. I'm thinking that I need to motivate myself to get back to normal life, so I think I will blog every Monday and Thursday until I feel chatty enough to return to the way I used to be. Meanwhile, I'd appreciate book recommendations. :> Be good, be bad & be safe.

19 Comments:

Blogger CindyS said...

I will suggest Calamity Jane by Kathleen Bacus. Not slapstick kind of funny which might be a good thing. I can't remember if you like Evanovich or not.

Maybe rent some DVDs of comedians you like. Robin Williams and Denis Leary keep me chuckling in the dire times.

CindyS

1/13/2006 03:56:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's not romance, but I adored Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. I know it came out last year and I'm a little late to the game so you might have read it. Anyway, I loved its light touch while still being a substantial book.

1/13/2006 04:46:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, hang in there, Maili.

I do know what you mean about real life taking the fun out of reading sometimes. Point of fact, there have been times during the last few years when I honestly wondered if I was ever going to read again, when reading has always been my sanity saver, if you know what I mean. (One of these days I may even post a blog about some of the things going on in real life for me but I dither that idea. A lot.)

Anyway, one of the things I did, and do, on occassion was simply to tell myself it was okay not read a book or buy a new one. That way I wasn't stressing about it and if I do happen to run across one I liked or think of one I wanted to read/reread, it was a comfort and not a, well, I'm not even sure what word I want here.

The point is to give yourself a chance to simply enjoy it when you do feel like reading.

Oh, and I'm sitting here trying to think of something I've read recently that I would really recommend and can't think of a thing. Which is weird because I know I read a bunch between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They must have been mostly rereads, though. Hmm, I'll get back to you on that. (G)

1/13/2006 06:08:00 pm

 
Blogger Nicole said...

I just bought Calamity Jayne. *sheepish grin* I even already had it on hold at the library, but I had a weak moment in SuperTarget.

Let's see...books...It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas was good.

Size 12 Is Not Fat by Meg Cabot was a fun, light-hearted mystery.

Oh, and that Barbara Freethy book, Don't Say a Word was disappointing. So don't waste your money.

And depression sucks. No doubt about it. You feel like you should be able to snap out of it, but you just can't.

1/13/2006 10:20:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been spamming this link to all my friends, an I think you might find it amusing, too. If you haven't seen it already, that is--it's been around for a while:

Mysterio is GAY! For Spiderman!

Alas, I haven't read any super-good books lately, and so can't recommend any. Ender's Game was the last book I read which I enjoyed, but even that wasn't unreservedly. Last year was a truly mediocre year in terms of reading material. More bad than good, and the number of "Eh" books was overwhelming.

1/13/2006 11:42:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

two new(er)series I recommend: the Crazy series by Tara Janzen and the Bodyguard series by Cindy Gerard

1/14/2006 01:29:00 am

 
Blogger Tara Marie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum. I can't even imagine not being "introspective and self-centred, preferring to live in my cave inside my head." No matter how expected, you need to mourn.

Okay, I'm off my mini soapbox.

Right now I'm reading Minda Webber's The Reluctant Miss Van Helsing. It's silly and irreverent and may be just what you need. You'll probably like the author's references to vampire movies and other works of fiction.

1/14/2006 02:10:00 am

 
Blogger Bob & Muffintop said...

Caves are ok, but better when you let your friends in to have a tipple or two.

Seriously though, don't feel like you need to be witty or entertaining. Those of us who have waited for you to return are your friends. Just be who you are.

Book ideas? Nothing super fantastic lately. Just finished Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (first in the series). Currrently reading The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey.

Don't disappear on us Maili, we miss you when you're not here.

1/14/2006 02:53:00 am

 
Blogger lost said...

CindyS - oh, Kathleen Bacus is a completely new name to me. Nice one. I am indifferent to Evanovich's books, but I'll give KB's CJ a try. Cheers for that, mite. :)

Jorie - Oh, I have that book. I read it a while ago, but I'd re-read it. I'll put that on the bedside table. Thanks!

Beverly - aw, bless. Thanks. What you said makes sense. OK, I will stop trying to force myself to read, then. I have been trying to read Weir's book for that TBR Challenge, but my heart wasn't really in it because there was a line of pink elephants in tutus prancing in front of my eyes. Hm, I think that is a sign I need to sleep some more. :) Thanks for the great advice. Cheers. :) Meanwhile, I still want your recs, so please hurry back. :>

Nicole - Heh. I'd just noted your recs and an avoider. Cheers for that. :D P.S. You got it spot on with that last bit. Thank you.

Candy - lol! Nice link. Krakk krakk! Ditto - 2005 has been a dodgy year, reading-wise, for me, but I think I did find a couple of good ones. Must remind myself to write up that bloody book list.

JaniceC -- OMG! I forgot I have Janzen's first COOL book AngieW sent last year. I read it and found it rather disappointing, but I had wondered since if my expectations were a tad too high [high enough to say hi to God]. It's due for a re-read, methinks. Thanks for that! I am starting to feel perky now. This is good. Thanks!

Tara Marie - yes, but it's been more than a month. If my gran was here, she'd clip my ear and tell me to snap out of it. That's the Scottish way. :D How else could we cope with the crappy history of Scotland all these years, do you think? ;> Oh, references to vampire movies? It's on my list. Cheers!

Amanda - Thanks for that, mite. I read all Dan Brown's books. Good fun yarns. Are there any fairies in The Fairy Godmother? Mercedes Lackey is one of those names I see all the time, but never read.

1/14/2006 06:16:00 am

 
Blogger Karen Scott said...

No book recs, but don't you fancy a visit to a health spa? Nothing to do, but be massaged, to within an inch of your life, and eat grapes, or chocolate if you must.

If you want I can arrange a visit to one for you. I know people in low places.

1/14/2006 04:25:00 pm

 
Blogger Saskia Walker said...

Take your time, Maili. The way you feel is only natural. Only time can heal grief. We've missed you but we'll still be here, whenever you're ready. Thinking of you. Hugs!

1/14/2006 05:11:00 pm

 
Blogger Nicole said...

I finished Calamity Jayne last night and need to blog about it. It was pure fun. Not too deep, but not too frivolous. Just....fun. More mystery than romance, but it is going to be an actual series starring the main character, so the romance was just beginning.

1/14/2006 06:37:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha! I finally remembered a couple from this last year that I really loved. Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan is an excellent fantasy/romance crossover that's the first in a trilogy about the same couple.

Then there's one I just read sometime during the holidays, Strange Brews by Stobie Piel, which is an intriguing first book in a new magic-based romance universe she's created. At least I hope it's the first because I really enjoyed it.

1/14/2006 07:21:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been mostly reading Sarah Caudwell this week, who wrote four light hearted mystery books around a group of barristers in London. Quite fun. I've started The Historian this morning (half price in Waterstones sale) and I'm about half way through and enjoying it more than I thought I might. I'm sure you've read Esther Friesner, but I hadn't: I read 'The Chick is in the Mail' last week, and thought some of the stories were funny.

I'm not good on jokes, but Sarah Kennedy told this one on Radio 2 on Friday:
Man went into the pet shop to buy a bird. He sees a cage of parrots with some sitting at the bottom, some in the middle, some at the top.
He asks the owner 'How much for a parrot?' and the owner says: '£10 for the ones at the bottom, £25 for those in the middle or £40 for those at the top - but you've got to pay for those in four installments of ten pounds each.'
Customer is puzzled.
'Why must I pay in installments?'
'Ah. Well, you see sir, those parrots are on higher perches.'

1/14/2006 08:43:00 pm

 
Blogger Bob & Muffintop said...

Maili, re: fairies~

Elves appear three times, briefly, but play no major role in The Fairy Godmother. I know you dislike fairies, but I couldn't remember about the elves. Here is a link to Lackey's website.

1/14/2006 10:42:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe reading is not the answer. How about doing a jigsaw puzzle? It concentrates the mind nicely and stops the hands from worrying.

1/15/2006 12:25:00 am

 
Blogger Nicole said...

I think there are some elves in the Fairy Godmother, but they fit.

1/15/2006 01:47:00 am

 
Blogger Megan Frampton said...

Sympathy on your loss, Maili. That must be very hard, and honestly, you deserve to be a little depressed right now. Don't beat yourself up about it.

As for books, I've got no recs, but I hope you indulge yourself in whichever way to lighten your mood a little. I like watching Eddie Izzard when I'm bummed out--or a really, really bad historical movie.

1/16/2006 01:06:00 pm

 
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Maili, I am so sorry, and I can relate. My mother died in October because of an accident, and it being so sudden made it worse. Take the time out you need.

Book recommendations? Hm, do you read historical fiction without romance? ;-)

1/17/2006 03:18:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home