Thursday, January 5

Toe in the water

Excuse me while I wander around here, trying to remember how it all works. It took me almost all day trying to remember the password to this blog. I'm sorry for breaking my promise that I'd return in early December and for not keeping in touch with anyone for a while. Quite a few things happened last month, some are quite embarrassing. I think I will wait until my mortification finally die before I'd write about them here. :D Aside from that, nothing much happened. Unless you count this hangover that refuses to let go of my brain. I think it's trying to tell me that I'm too old to have a proper knee-up with friends, family and foes all night to celebrate New Year's Eve and my birthday. The morning after - my God, the bathroom and I are now best friends because of the amount of time I spent there the morning after. I swear I'll never, ever touch Southern Comfort again. What makes it worse is when I was offered a glass of Southern Comfort, Will reminded me that I swore not to touch it after drinking an entire bottle to celebrate my uni graduation almost twenty years ago. I laughed and said that I can handle it. Did I handle it fine? Please. Will and Neacal [my oldest brother] carried me to a local hotel while I puked left, right and centre, and cried that I didn't like how the street spun. I apparently ordered Will to stop the street from spinning so much and he kept telling me to close my eyes, but that made the dizziness worse, hence the puking. He also held my hair up while my head was in the loo, retching in name of Scotland. In between bouts of puking, I bitterly declared that I'd never drink again and I distinctively remember Will kept saying that he deserves a well-polished halo, but he denied this. Anyhow, next day while I was feeling sorry for myself, Will had the gall to make me sign an agreement that I'll never take the mick out of his [admittedly, rare] hangovers for the duration of 2006. WTF? I mean, he actually wrote this agreement while I was in alcohol-soaked slumberland in our hotel room and, as soon as I woke up, he made me sign it. I thought he was joking, but he was deadly serious. After I complained about this to my brother in the hotel breakfast room, the f. traitor turned to Will and said, "I'm deeply honoured and humbled to count you as a member of our family". I'll have my revenge, to hell with maturity, sensibility, middle-aged wisdom, et cetera. I feel better now, getting all that off my chest. I have been stewing on this over a couple of days. Sorry that it's such a long ramble, but hey, this is what a blog is for, right? :P Books! I haven't read much last couple of months. I think I managed to finish only two: Matthew Reilly's Scarecrow and Kathleen Gilles Seidel's More Than You Dreamed [I think that's the title, anyway]. I see that quite a few reader bloggers came up with their booklists of 2005. I will have to do mine, even though my mind is completely blank. There has been some outstanding romances, but so far, nothing slaps me in the face. Not yet, anyway. Anyway, give me a couple of days while I get my head around this blog. I think I will tidy it up, update sidebars and put up covers of two current reads. I can't wait to surf around the blogland as it's been too long. Also, again, sorry for being away longer than I said I would be. For those who have been really patient, thank you. Be good, be bad & be safe.

16 Comments:

Blogger sybil said...

welcome home ;)

you were missed!

1/05/2006 05:53:00 am

 
Blogger ReneeW said...

Woohoo, oops ::whispers:: welcome back. Hangovers are a bitch.

1/05/2006 06:35:00 am

 
Blogger Tara Marie said...

Welcome back--you've been missed!

1/05/2006 01:30:00 pm

 
Blogger Nicole said...

Welcome home! Don't worry about being gone so long, just glad you're back.

1/05/2006 02:00:00 pm

 
Blogger Rosario said...

Yay, she's back!!

1/05/2006 02:01:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

::miming:: yay! woo hoo! I get my Maili daily dose again. glad to see you're back.

1/05/2006 02:43:00 pm

 
Blogger Bob & Muffintop said...

Happy Birthday, Maili!!! Welcome back! Missed you terribly.

1/05/2006 03:18:00 pm

 
Blogger Anna Carrasco Bowling said...

Welcome back! I've missed the Maili-ness.

1/05/2006 03:18:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I hear the echoes of "Hey, she's back!" being whispered all through romanceland. :-D

Welcome back, Maili.

P.S. Talk about being out of it for a while, I had to scratch around and find my blogger id & password just so I could post this happy dance because I kept getting them wrong. Oye.

1/05/2006 04:55:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maili, welcome back and happy birthday

1/05/2006 07:51:00 pm

 
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Hey - we're just glad you made it. Your Southern Comfort is my Lime Gin. 30 years later I still remember the hangover THAT gave me. Happy New Year and Happy Birthday and Welcome Back.

1/05/2006 11:41:00 pm

 
Blogger Karen Scott said...

About bloody time too!!! You alcofrolic you!

1/06/2006 12:58:00 am

 
Blogger CindyS said...

Ahhh, all is right with the world again. You, Will, drinking, books and blogs. I think I have died and gone to Heaven!

Will has definitely got your number ;)

Welcome home! Happy Birthday! Happy New Year and a bunch of stuff from the last 5 months!

CindyS

1/06/2006 06:00:00 am

 
Blogger lost said...

yay it worked! Thank you for welcoming back ino blogland where your book recs will suck will's credit card dry, keep me up all night talking books, and rustle up some mayhem. O u wicked, wicked people. :}

Seriously, thank you.

1/06/2006 07:19:00 am

 
Blogger Saskia Walker said...

Good to see you back! Happy New Year.

1/09/2006 02:37:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back, Maili! Hope your head settles down soon.

1/10/2006 03:19:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home