Saturday, March 4

Worst Film Sequels Ever

According to the Entertainment Weekly, the top 25 worst film sequels ever are: 25. The Matrix Reloaded 24. The Next Karate Kid 23. Porky's 2 - The Next Day 22. Teen Wolf Too 21. Legally Blonde 2: Red, White, and Blonde 20. The Godfather III 19. Revenge of the Nerds 2: Nerds in Paradise 18. Battle for the Planet of the Apes 17. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier 16. Oceans Twelve 15. Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd 14. Conan the Destroyer 13. The Sting II 12. Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace 11. Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights 10. Jaws: The Revenge 9. Speed 2: Cruise Control 8. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan 7. The Fly II 6. Weekend At Bernie's II 5. Batman and Robin 4. Blues Brothers 2000 3. Leprechan: Back 2 Da Hood 2. Caddyshack II 1. Stayin' Alive I'm quite shocked that I haven't seen the majority of this list. I don't know if I should be grateful for not having those to clutter up my brain or be mortified that I missed out on those. There's an art to being a sad film geek, don't you know? Anyhow, I'd throw in Grease 2 [but I do have some friends who absolutely adore this film, just enough to sing 'Cool Rider' whenever they are blitzed on booze], The Ring 2 [US], Highlander 2 [the original Highlander is hilarious, but its sequel is just plain bad], Resident Evil: Apocalypse, and Starship Troopers II [I loved Starship Troopers, dammit! Watching the sequel is an experience I'd not want to repeat]. Oh, thought of a few more: Look Who’s Talking Too [granted, I disliked the original, but I didn't think I'd hate it even more with this sequel], The Hills Have Eyes 2 [it's so awful that it's funny as it's just a series of flashbacks to the original; even a family dog has a flashback], Infernal Affairs II, and - this hurts - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Link of the Day: Lady Tess's Research Blog Be good, be bad & be safe.

10 Comments:

Blogger CindyS said...

Lordy. I had to sit through Blues Brothers 2000 and I was pissed. The hubby wanted to see it and I was freakin' miserable!

Being that I don't get nearly enough sci-fi watching done, I enjoyed STII for what it was. Also enjoyed RE:A. I rented Highlander there about 2 years ago and I just don't get it. I fast forwarded through almost an hour before I shut it off.

Also, Temple of Doom - vera bad. Loved the other three movies.

I love Matrix and Matrix (2) but the third? - I have no clue what happened.

CindyS

3/04/2006 10:03:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only reason I plan on owning Godfather III is because I want the Godfather DVD collection for the extras disc; otherwise, I'd just buy the first two and let the third be. Copolla had really said it all with the first two, taking Michael from a bright-eyed young man determined to not fall into the family mold to a bitter, twisted shadow of his former self. There wasn't any need to do the third because it was just a rehash with bad acting.

God, I so wanted to love Temple of Doom. Singing "Anything Goes" in Mandarin with the whole Busby Berkley number in the opening hit so many of my kinks that I was eager and ready to see almost anything. Notice I said "almost."

Most of these I've managed to avoid by willful decision, thank goodness.

3/04/2006 05:31:00 pm

 
Blogger Alyssa said...

Thank you, Cindy! I liked Matrix Reloaded but Matrix Revolutions SUCKED.

3/04/2006 06:24:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww Weekend at Bernies II is one of my favorite movies! Way better than the first imo. I still kinda wish they had released the soundtrack to W@B2 - I would buy that in a second!

3/04/2006 06:30:00 pm

 
Blogger vanessa jaye said...

My son has instructed me to add Mortal Komat II as the worst sequel of all time. Wait, wait! He says all of The Crow sequels must be added too. heh. I actually don't think MK2 is as bad as he's saying (considering it was a B minus movie concept to begin with.) but I heartily agree with him on The Crow sequels.

3/04/2006 06:57:00 pm

 
Blogger Karen Scott said...

"The Next Karate Kid"

Was that the one where Ralph Macchio is a girl? Yep, it truly sucked.

As for the Dirty Dancing sequel, how come I never knew there was a sequel?

3/04/2006 08:00:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What no Superman sequel?

I have to admit that Star Trek: The Final Frontier is not the best of the numerous ST movies BUT it's definitely not the worst either. In some ways, it's probably the truest to the characters of all the movies and has some of the best one liners. Prime example: "Why does God need my ship?" Even if I hadn't seen the movie, I'd still know immediately who would say that.

On the whole though, I think I'll count myself lucky that I haven't seen most of the ones on the list. (G)

3/05/2006 01:17:00 am

 
Blogger erika said...

I hate to admit it it but Episode 1 wasn't the best and I have all 6 episodes. That acting was just plain stiff.
Grease 2 should never have been made. That movie was the worst!

3/05/2006 03:21:00 am

 
Blogger lost said...

CindyS -- oooh, Blue Brothers 2000 sounds bad. Highlander isn't worth figuring out. Honestly, it's best watched when drunk because through alcohol-soaked haze, it'll become crystal clear that it's really a comedy.

Keishon - Me, too! I can't get into any Star Wars films than the trilogy [even if I loathe Ewoks with all of my heart]
How many Jason films are there? Let me investigate ... eleven so far with another coming out in 2007!! JHC!

Caro - I have the boxset of Godfather, too. You're absolutely right - the third film was unnecessary, but I supposed for Coppola, it's a disclosure as well as to remind us that redeeming yourself with money isn't the way to go. Yeah, right(!) I liked 'Anything Goes', too, but Kate Capshaw?

Alyssa - you liked Matrix II? *pause* You're dead to me. Oh, wait. You think Matrix III is bad? You're semi-dead to me now.

Jaye - Oooh, good point! Mortal Kombat is seriously bad but its sequel is even worse. The Crow -- how many are there? I thought there is only one sequel?

Karen - re The Next Karate Kid. No, that's the one where Ralph Macchio is a million dollar baby. Dirty Dancing II is a straight-to-video job, but I was assured by a friend that it's good fun. Hm. Who will get to see it first, you or me?

Bev BB - I think people are too truamatised to list Superman sequels. I can't remember them clearly, to be honest, because in my head, they merged into a montage [the run next to a train, three people in black in a swirly thingy, a car in a post-earthquake crack, etc.]. OK, who said 'Why does God need my ship?' I admit to not seeing any ST films nor TV series, so I haven't the foggiest.

Keishon - I'll pretend I never saw that because, I mean, you - a Trekkie?

Erika - lol! Plain stiff is right! What is that irritating hip-talking animated thingy with long ears called? Jaf-Jaf? Did you feel an itch to strangle him?

Anne E. - anything goes. Do what makes you feel comfortable. Just as long as you're having fun. :>

3/06/2006 03:29:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Captain Kirk wanted to know why an entity claiming to be God - not "a" god, mind you, but "the" God - needed his ship to leave a planet . . .

Cliched, yes, but oh, so in character for Kirk. And the way he said it, too. (BG)

As for the Superman movies, the first sequel wasn't really all that bad. That's the one with the three black attired criminal Kryptonians. Or at least it had some good moments. Of course, the first and second movies were also filmed together so that and then edited as two movies. It's the 3rd & 4th that are absolutely atrocious.

3/07/2006 12:44:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home