Wednesday, March 1

Cool Opening Lines

I'm trying to finish writing up two reviews for the February TBR Challenge, so I hope this will do for time being. Here's a selection of my favourite opening lines: My mother was the village whore and I loved her very much.

Pigs Don't Fly - Mary Brown
On the twelfth of June in the year seventeen sixty seven, I awoke in ditch in Derbyshire and thought I was dying.
Playing the Jack - Mary Brown
He had a pair of queens, but she had cleavage.
The Gambler - Lois Geiman
Daisy Devereaux had forgotten her bridegroom's name.
Kiss an Angel - Susan Elizabeth Phillips
It was well known around Russellville, Alabama, that Tommy Lee Gentry drove like a rebellious seventeen-year-old, drank like a parolee fresh out, and whored like a lumberjack at the first spring thaw.
The Hellion - LaVyrle Spencer
"What a beautiful cock!" she murmured under her breath.
The Pirate and the Pagan - Virginia Henley
Two book reviews coming up in a couple of hours. Wish me luck! Be good, be bad & be safe.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

oh, it's been ages since I read Pig's Don't Fly. Haven't read any of the rest.

3/02/2006 02:13:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When asked for favorite opening lines, I always say "Penitence Hurd and the plague arrived in London on the same day" Diana Norman, The Vizard Mask

3/02/2006 04:26:00 am

 
Blogger lost said...

Nicole - yeah, it's been ages for me, too. I don't have a copy now. Do get Playing the Jack if you have the time.

Susan K - that's one of the best. How the heck did I forget to include that? Well worth repeating. Thanks, Susan.

3/02/2006 04:03:00 pm

 
Blogger Karen Scott said...

"What a beautiful cock!" she murmured under her breath."

OK, where can I go buy this book?

3/02/2006 06:37:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I don't think I've ever run across an opening line for a book that really stuck with me but there are a number of authors that have a gift for opening chapters in ways that get my attention.

Dare I ask if I'm weird? (G)

And, hey, Maili, I got my blogroll on my blog now, thanks to you, only I'm still trying to figure out how to tweak the font on it.

3/02/2006 08:43:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/02/2006 08:44:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home