Mind Your Manners
"You didn't tell me why you were screwing me." Lianne said. "I was screwing you because you got me so hot I didn't know which end was up. I'm still picking splinters out of my butt from the dock. Wasn't I a gentleman, sweetheart? You only got splinters in your knees."
-- Jade Island
Elizabeth Lowell
Anne Weale has an interesting commentary about lack of courtesy in book publishing for book titles at her blog, How many authors can share a book title? Bernardine Kennedy, a member of one of the writers' forums I belong to, happened to mention one of her books My Sisters' Keeper. [I haven't misplaced the apostrophe.] I went to Amazon UK to read the reviews and when I keyed in the title, the first book that came up was by Jodi Picoult, followed by books given the same title [not necessarily with the apostrophe in the same place] by Mavis Applewater, Rachel Lindsay, Beverley Butler, Nora Kelly, Shirley Lord, Kerry Duke, Don Merritt and possibly even more authors had I continued to click on the Next button. Using another author's title seems unforgivable, particularly now that it's so easy to check titles at the two Amazons.Many thanks to Wendy Woo for putting up a link to Anna Weale's blog. Is Anne Weale the same Anne Weale who wrote a few contemporary romances during the 1980s? I recall reading one of AW's books Flora. Link of the Day: I dig through the Garbage! Be good, be bad & be safe.

4 Comments:
OMG. OMG. OMG!
Food from garbage - NOOOO! Did you see the lady who mentioned B&N dumpsters and romance books? I know it is garbage but there would be a part of me that would think it was stealing if is from a store. Weird.
I would never pick up soft furnishing from the garbage.
Bob picked up an old wooden window with the glass still in it because you can make great gifts with them. At least around here. The last house we owned had great old wooden windows and I could already see some of the stuff I could do with them. Bob threw them out and he hasn't heard the end of it since. Why? Around here, old windows in stores can cost anywhere from 40 bucks and up. $40 bucks!! I was rich I tell ya!
Oh, years ago we were cementing the drive but we didn't know it was big garbage day and it so happens that someone decided the nine bags of cement were garbage and they toted them away! No, not garbage!!
CindyS
8/19/2005 10:53:00 pm
I have an Anne Weale book in my Missy pile: RAIN OF DIAMONDS.
I remember her as the one who always had the very, very young girl, and at the end of the book there was a three year separation or something while the girl grew into a woman.
And then they met again, and got married.
Oh, man...I've read a lot of these.
8/20/2005 05:14:00 am
CindyS - heh. In London, you do find some interesting stuff left outside to be taken away. A friend once found a Art Deco lampshade and took it home. A few years later a guest of her sister was seriously impressed because he thought it may be one of a very few surviving lampshades from a limited range made by a significant Art Deco leading figure. The friend put it up in an auction house and walked away with enough money to pay for an extension to her house. Nice. :>
Meljean - it should be fun to see what you and Missy have to say about Weale's RoD. :D Can't wait.
8/20/2005 01:09:00 pm
I share a title with Anne Weale herself! :) Summer Lightning. Although mine is merely a novella, so it doesn't go by the title on Amazon. Of course Anne Weale wasn't the first to use it either, hehe. P G Wodehouse used it first, so perhaps people in glass houses etc...? I named my novella after the rather fine ale, Summer Lightning.
8/22/2005 09:27:00 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home