Thursday, August 18

Not So Unusual!

"A nice guy? He belongs to the country club, the tennis club and probably even the damn yacht club. I'll bet he doesn't know a ball stat from a schedule. This is your sister we are talking about. You want her involved with some flashy, sweet-talking, Southern hick who fixes teeth for a living?"

-- from the hero to the heroine's sister Indiscreet Catherine Judd
An online friend said she's never seen my name before and she travelled a lot. [Emphasis is hers.] I pointed out that for every 'unusual' name, there is at least ten other people around the world who have that name. The average number would be roughly one hundred. She laughed at my face, and challenged me to bring her a list of ten people who share my name. Ooh, I love challenges. Read and weep, baby.Buwahahahaha! Bu-wahahahahaha! OK, I cheated. All these are without the grave accent, e.g. Màili. Admittedly, it'd be extremely difficult if I were to expect to track down other Màilies because most web search engines don't recognise accents. Still, I'm quite chuffed that I managed to win the challenge. :D Right. That's me back to do the film meme that I started a week ago. I was grappling with it when Will asked what I was doing. I explained what a film meme is and la la, and he asked, "Why are you taking it so seriously?" I said that I wasn't. He gave me the "This is me you're talking to" look. We held a staring contest for a few seconds, and I backed down because I knew he was right. Hm. I'm swiping it clean and start again, but with a much shorter list [the original list is so long that it's not funny] and I'll try not to be so serious. The listmaker in me will be locked somewhere deep inside. My film meme should be up in an hour or so. :> Link of the Day: Top 15 Bad Romance Novel Opening Lines Be good, be bad & be safe.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jordan Summers said...

Are those opening lines real? If so...shudder.

8/18/2005 07:15:00 pm

 
Blogger Rosario said...

Try googling for "màili" with the "s. I got all matches with the grave accent, but they're all you, as far as I can tell. There seems to be a Màili Dhonn song and something called "The Haim of Màili Skotkonung", but that's it!

8/18/2005 07:29:00 pm

 
Blogger Karen Scott said...

I was just going to add the same thing. Did an author actually use this line...

."His flatulence reared up like a proud stallion."

Really?

8/18/2005 07:29:00 pm

 
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Geez, some of these could win the Bulwer Lytton contest.

8/18/2005 07:58:00 pm

 
Blogger meljean brook said...

I wish they'd provided references -- gah! I'd love to read a book that began with the heroine 'deftly cutting the cheese'.

8/18/2005 10:00:00 pm

 
Blogger Tara Marie said...

I'm with Meljean, we need references, those lines could not possibly be real (can they??)

8/18/2005 11:28:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Màili,

Sorry, could not find other references to "Màili" than the ones already mentioned by Rosario, but I do have a bit of trivia about the "cheat" version, Maili. Several years ago when I first saw your name on the AAR message boards I automatically assumed you were Finnish... Women by that name even have their own spot in the Finnish name day calendar: May 17th ("Maili" shares the date with "Maila"). Of course, the pronounciation differs, too (emphasis on the first syllable): MY-li ("li" as in "Linda"). The Saami (the ethnic population in Lapland, in the north) have yet another version of the name: Máilá.

Okay, back to lurking mode, with many thanks for a consistently interesting blog :-)

Kind regards,
Danielle C.

8/19/2005 02:48:00 am

 
Blogger CindyS said...

I'm trying to track down the original post that lists the authors and such but so far no luck. All I can say is, these are from romance books I have never read! Although I can see that whole cutting the cheese thing being the woman standing in her kitchen, rubbing her leg on her cat.

I remember a romance that started out with a woman and a cock. I was all google eyed until I realized she was dealing with a male chicken. Didn't like that ploy at all!

CindyS (on a mission because I am bored)

8/19/2005 09:05:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home