Monday, March 20

Simon, Simon ... !

I wish there were two of me. One to do all tasks and one to die in bed. I spent last few days looking after Will who was sick with a virus that he's passed on to me [thank you, Will(!)]; swimming through a sea of php, html, css and xhtml; writing numerous Thank You letters to those who attended my mother's memorial service, and glueing to TV. I came online to check emails, but then I thought I should blog. :> American Idol I've heard a lot about American Idol, but never had a chance to watch it. Until yesterday, that is. I'm still shocked. I had seen the original series, Pop Idol, which was what American Idol based on, but I didn't see any further Pop Idol or its spin-off series since. So, yesterday, I was in bed, coughing my lungs out, when Will decided to entertain me by bringing a TV into our bedroom. American Idol happened to be on at the time, so I watched it. My God, it was a train wreck in slow motion. I mean, WTF? The big guy [Randy Jackson?] and Paula Abdul - how saccharine can they be? I was quite appalled when they actually praised one contestant's awful performance. I'm just shocked that they don't - or won't - comment on dodgy aspects of contestants' performances. I mean, that Kevin kid? My God. He's terrible! Yet they praised his "unique" dance moves and "interesting" voice? And he's not voted out? He's definitely the underdog. Every series has to have one. Simon Cowell shocked me, though. What did they do to him? It seems that they removed his balls. He's the shadow of his usual self. If viewers considered him a mean bastard for his comments on American Idol, God knows what they will say when they see him on Pop Idol. I'm sorry, but from what I saw yesterday, Simon is a shark without fangs here. Of all performances, I liked the one who did Higher Ground best. Anyhow, I'll try to find out when the next episode is on because I really want to see if Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson are indeed that saccharine. OK, I'd better get off because I have a pounding headache from having to cough so much. A neighbour suggested I should drink a cup of hot water mixed with honey. I detest honey, but if drinking a cup of pure honey will stop me from coughing my brain out, by God I'm going to do it. Unless you have a better idea? If so, bring it on, please. :D Link of the Day: Crazy Thoughts Be good, be bad & be safe.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear about your mother.

And I've no secret cures for coughs, but do have a suggestion: hug a pillow to your chest when you cough so that your chest muscles don't get sore (it may also help with the headache, which to some extent is probably also due to sore muscles in your neck and head). A nurse told me to do this once when I had the flu long ago, and it does help.

3/20/2006 05:22:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh yes, Paula Abdul and Randy "Dawg" Jackson are that saccharine. Compared to them Simon is mean.

Fave moment of the contest so far, Simon called a contestant a "minx" and she was excited to be a "mink". Nearly as priceless a moment as the woman on, I think it was "Joe Millionaire" (or something like that)said she wanted to be a "mercenary", when what she meant was "missionary".

Reality tv where the deficincies in the education system come to light.

As for you cold, get thee to a doctor and get some heavy duty cough syrup. There's a time for home remedies and then there's a time for better living through chemistry.

Get better soon!

J.

3/20/2006 05:55:00 pm

 
Blogger Nicole said...

AI is evil!!!! It takes time away from House.

I think I've only watched half of an episode way when it first came out and that was quite enough. I just can't stand the idea.

I hope it's over soon. I hate how it screws up my tv watching.

3/20/2006 06:41:00 pm

 
Blogger Angela James said...

oh God, Paula is actually that saccharine and WORSE. Don't watch Maili, you'll end up wanting to blow up the tv just to get the images of Paula saying wonderful, good things about everyone out of your head. It's horrible.

I love Simon. What he says is rarely really mean (although he has had a few instances) but since we've become a society where being honest is considered mean (please don't make me bring up the review debate again) it's hardly surprising that people have labeled him so.

3/20/2006 07:20:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

American Idol is the biggest farce on television. Simon’s comments aren’t even his real opinions. He only says what he does to try and manipulate the votes. His praise of Kevin was an attempt to make people think Kevin was safe so no one would vote for him.

The winner is pre chosen by the producers every year. This person will be universally praised by the judges even though their performances are bland and the same every week. Better singers will be constantly torn down until they dupe enough people into believing that their chosen one really is the best. I can already tell this year’s winner is Chris.

Randy and Paula really are useless. Paula is slightly amusing because she gets wasted on air a lot. Especially during the two hour shows. Seriously, you’ll notice her getting tipsy about 45 minutes in and by the end she’ll say something completely insane.

As you can see, I hate this show with a burning passion. Yet I watch the damn thing every year. Run before you get addicted too.

3/20/2006 10:54:00 pm

 
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Hope you (and Will) get feeling better. Now you're on that slippery slope downward into AI hell. As Jen & Angie say - Randy and Paula (especially Paula) are teeth ruining sweet. I listen to what they sometimes and think huh?????
What's equally disturbing is being scolded by Ryan Seacrest for not voting for your favourite or in other words - it's all the viewers fault someone gets the lowest number of votes. But yet I (and millions of others) watch it week after week. I know I'm having to sit on my hands in anticipation of Barry Manilow night tomorrow.
And I don't have any useful suggestion for coughs :-( The best I do is sleep sitting up when a bad one comes over me.

3/21/2006 12:09:00 am

 
Blogger CindyS said...

Bob and I watched the first year of AI and I haven't watched it since. I figured there would be more 'dawg, dawg, yeah, yeah' from Randy, more 'you are the wind beneath my wings' Abdul and 'I have farts that sound better than you' Simon. At least Simon told it like it was.

This past summer there was a show here called Rockstar INXS which was fantastic but that's because they played rocker music - except for the INXS songs ;)

Oh and NyQuil. Big N, little y, Big fuckin' Q. (Denis Leary joke) Kiss your hubby goodbye, you're going on a little vacation ;)

CindyS

3/21/2006 04:47:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home