Ready for the Big Move
I have decided to use mcvane.com as a new home to my blog, so I think it's going to be an interesting - and probably, hair-pulling - experience. I'll have to decide which blog software I'll use and how, which is a bit of nervous experience for me. I have been looking at this Blog Software Breakdown and I'm still not sure which to go for. Quite a few bloggers are huge fans of WordPress, but I'm not so sure. Mostly because it's a big target for spammers. Of course, one way to deal with spammers is to install spam-prevention plugins, but frankly, I can't be arsed. I think what I really want is content management system which allows me to host a blog and some kind of webzine. It seems that Textpattern may be best suited to my needs. Either way, I think the Big Move will occur this Wednesday, so if you have a link to this blog at your blog, please update the URL to mcvane.com :D Thanks. Reader Network Bev (BB) mentioned in comments section that she's held on a domain readernetwork.com for years with an idea of setting up a site for romance readers or such, but she feels that it's not an one-person operation. She's probably right, so if you're interested to take part in setting it up or help out running the site, please make yourselves known here. Perhaps we can discuss what we would like to see in a reader site. Almost Sneezed My Way to Heaven This morning I was driving on a relevantly busy roundabout when I had a violent sneezing fit. It's every driver's worst nightmare. While I sneezed, I was desperately aware that my car was bumping off the island. Thankfully it was a slow day because I had a Sunday driver in front of me and there was no one behind me, so I was able to steer away the island's edge. God, I hate colds. At least it wasn't as bad as last time when I had that kind of a sneezing fit during an important work meeting. I sneezed so hard that I somehow banged my forehead against the boss's desk. While my forehead throbbed like a mad f'ker, I apologised and then tried to focus on what he was saying, but he stared at me with horror. I touched my nose, thinking that maybe I have snot coming out of my nose, but he shook his head and pointed at my forehead. I touched my forehead and then looked at my fingers. Normally I'm not that squeamish, but for some reason, when I saw so much blood on my fingers, I said, "Holy fuck!" and the next thing, I found myself lying flat on my back with my boss running around in panic, shouting for first aid. Actually, let's stop here because that is an incident I'd like to shove in back of my mental wardrobe and keep it there for the rest of my life. Link of the Day: Vampire watermelons Be good, be bad & be safe.

7 Comments:
Reader network--I'm interested in helping out.
Sneezing--you made me laugh and snort. Reminds me of very bad drive home from mountains when I was whistling along with a "Pink Martini" song. Loving life, whistling loudly, fancy whistling (in and out, mamma's got a squeezebox) and then a lump of spit when down the wrong pipe. Coughing, gagging, imagining fourteen-car-pileup on the highway. "Um, yes officer. Well, you see I was just whistling..." Fortunately I was able to keep control of the car.
3/27/2006 05:08:00 pm
Well, after that little story, Maili, I'm almost afraid to bang my head on the desk but I feel like doing so. I checked and so far I haven't figured out how to install the message board on Reader Network. It doesn't have the same control panel that my newer domain Bev's Books does, which completely installed WordPress for me at the snap of a finger, so I'm sort of waiting for tech support from AAces.com to get back to me on that one.
In the meantime and just in case, anyone else familiar with UBB boards from Infopop.com? I'm most familiar with them from the L&C fanfiction board I frequent http://www.lcficmbs.com/cgi-bin/boards/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_daily and they have a lot of features that are really nice but I'm open to suggestions if there are others out there.
3/27/2006 05:13:00 pm
Ugh, as you can see I tried to make that URL into a link in the last comment and failed miserably. Do I need help? Yeah, I do. (G)
Really, I understand basic html but much prefer the "what you see is what you get" type programs.
Oh, and I heard back from tech support and they should have the site moved to the newer control panel by tomorrow morning. Then I'll install whatever message forum is there and let you know when it's up and running so we can start talking.
3/27/2006 06:58:00 pm
Okay, I got a one track mind at times so I just now digested more of what was in this entry and have a question about WordPress since I'm just learning to use it. Doesn't the moderation feature on comments help with the spammers?
3/27/2006 07:02:00 pm
1. I am incredibly computer challenged, but would be willing to help in any way.
2. Why is it when you sneeze while driving it's always at the wrong time? I was stuck behind a Sunday driver this morning--he was doing 45 mph in a 65 mph zone on a 6 lane highway.
3/27/2006 07:51:00 pm
Suisan - God, I'd love to be there to witness your moment of glory. :D Maybe not, otherwise it'd be tough for you to explain to my family why I'd died of hysterical laughter.
Bev - I've never tried UBBs before, but it seems to be easy to use. That said, I find that many readers dislike anything that require them to sign up. The link would have been fine if you'd added 'a href=' between < a and >. :D
Doesn't the moderation feature on comments help with the spammers?
I have no idea, to be honest. As far as I know, there is a WP plug-in that you can use to prevent spammy comments. How to use or such, I have no idea, I'm afraid. I'd be happy to dig up an answer for you, though. Can't wait to see how you get on with RN.com :D
Tara Marie - 1. ah, bless you. You're on. :D
2. I'd love to know, too. Sunday drivers - ack. Hate them. The sad thing is my dad is one of them. :/ I can't stand being in his car because I always have to fight a serious urge to shriek, "Let me drive!", especially whenever we are on a 30-mile-long country lane that rarely sees more than three cars per day. Drives me absolutely batty.
3/28/2006 12:54:00 am
I know, the sign-up thing can be a turn off BUT, and this is just from my own experience with the message boards and groups that do have it, it's the sign-up that really cuts down on and controls spamming. So, it's a serious trade-off issue.
One thing I do love about UBB is that their boards can have an active posts page, which collects all recently updated threads into one listing. That is SO much better than having to search through an entire page of threads or having to go to other pages to find them.
That said, I'm sure we could find another program that had the same features. I just haven't run across one yet and I did at one time look.
3/28/2006 01:13:00 am
Post a Comment
<< Home