Thursday, August 11

Climbing Out of the Book Slump

I didn't admit this to myself until now, but I have been in a serious reading slump for a while. During all this time I was more interested in hanging out with fellow bloggers and reading others' feedback on various novels than pruning my TBR pile [which includes novels of other genres and non-fiction books]. In a way it's quite disturbing because for as long as I remember, it was common for me to inhale up to ten books per week. [My grandad used to say that I was born with a book in my fist. I did point out to him that everyone in the family reads, too, and he used to reply, "Yes, but you have books in your eyes". Weird man.] So it's a bit disconcerting, not to be able to read a book. I lurve reading when I'm on the move: planes, trains, tube, hotel rooms, ferries, boats - and if I'm desperate to finish a novel, on my feet walking down a street. Stupid? Well, I'm proud to say that I have never walked into a lamp post [I managed that without reading, actually, and several times, too, unfortunately] nor have I bumped into anyone. The trick is when you walk while you read, you should hug the side of a building, close enough to be well away from the others on the street. This is the invisible path for book readers, especially between Euston Station and Baker Street Station. When you see a person reading a book on this invisible path, you get out of the way. This is universally understood in London. Interestingly enough, I can't read in a moving car. If I tried, I'd find myself sticking my head out of the rolled-down window, decorating side of the car with my dinner. I could never figure out why I have no problem reading in a train and such, but not in a car. I have never managed to feel comfortable enough to read at home, either. Otherwise it'd be fun, trying to find a way to read a novel whilst in a shower [one reader online managed this feat, which seriously impressed me] or doing the washing up. But I just can't get into a book at home very well, even when I'm alone, yet I can when I'm in a hotel room. Weird, eh? I initally blamed it on the bed rest hell because while people may think, "Bed rest? Oooh, so many books to read!", it was the opposite for me. It was extremely difficult to motivate myself to read anything at all. I was this semi-permanent "looking at pictures" mode. When I flipped through a magazine I didn't even bother to read articles. It was pictures, adverts, pictures, adverts, and pictures all the way. If it was a novel, I spent more time studying the back cover and the front cover than reading pages between covers. How sad is that? Yup, it was the bed rest hell, I thought, that did this to me! Yet I'm starting to realise it may not be that. It gradually dawned on me that the source of this slump is - this is quite embarassing for me - to admit: the TBR pile [or instant gratification?]. My theory may be wrong, but I think it's partly to do with my preference to read when I'm on the move. It wasn't unusual for me to walk into a bookshop, select the one that interests me, pay for it, and read it as soon as I leave the bookshop. Any books I bought and left in a pile are usually left unread for months, if not years. This is the case with most books I bought off Amazon.co.uk or received through the post as well. I think when I look at my TBR pile, I feel - as weird as it may sound - defeated. I love the look of those books in a pile, but I find it difficult to motivate myself to read them, especially when I'm not on the move. So, I decided to give myself a good slap by a) don't buy any more books, b) read at least five books off the TBR pile per week, and c) avert my eyes from reader bloggers' book reviews. Today is Thursday, I think, so I'll give myself 'til next Thursday to read at least five books [three paperbacks and two ebooks]. Five books up for this week are: [click on an image to enlarge]

  • When the Storm Breaks - Heather Lowell [Romantic Suspense] [I tried to read this, but for some reason, I couldn't get into it, so it's been in my TBR pile for ages // a new-to-me author]
  • Alien Taste - Wen Spencer [Urban Fantasy?] [I had this in my TBR since it was released // a new-to-me author]
  • Lords of the Var: The Savage King - Michelle Pillow [Futuristic Paranormal Romance] [Ebook // a new-to-me author]
  • Sleep Tight - Anne Frasier [I enjoyed Play Dead, so this one should be interesting // I'm a huge fan of her books under her other name Theresa Weir]
  • The Pleasure Bot - Delilah Devlin [Romantic Comedy/Futuristic] [Ebook // a new-to-me author]
If I failed to read all five books when the week is up, I'll donate ten unread books from the TBR pile to a local charity shop. The book reader in me is screaming, but it has to be done AND I will force myself to write some casual feedback on each book as soon as I read them. Be good, be tough, & be safe.

2 Comments:

Blogger CindyS said...

Maili, back away from the TBR pile! Few questions. First, how many books roughly, are in this TBR pile (I have about 200) and second, when was the last time you culled the pile for dead wood.

I went through my books about 2 years ago now and was honest about books I would never re-read and those that I had had for more than 3 years and were not ever going to be read. Once I got going it was unbelievable how many books left this house.

Now, my TBR pile has books I really, really want to read. (Except for the few that I have bought over the last two years that were on word of mouth and now I look at them and grunt).

Also, I got into a book slump when I decided to vote in the AAR awards thingie. Being an anxious person naturally made it so I couldn't sit down and enjoy a book that wasn't published in the voting year. I got rid of that notion this year and was on a rocking reading kick until life intruded.

I looked at my life and in the last two years my DH has been holding down a full-time job and doing renos on his free time (which means I do renos on my not free time so I can be with him). Basically, I have been lucky enough to keep up with laundry but our house is beginning to fall down around my ears! Literally, I ripped up a carpet fragment a year ago because our cat decided it would do as a litter box. The smell was horrendous so I decided to rip up the carpet (we have hardwood underneath but old stuff). It's been sitting like that for a year because Bob and I don't have time to rip up all the carpets and re-finish the floors. Buy, boy howdy, the floors in the reno house have been sanded (by me), stained (by me) and varathaned (by me)...and my Dad. I won't even tell you about painting.

So, yeah, my reading has hit a low spot again and I can't wait for this latest house to sell so I can get my husband to do some stuff around our house. I mean, being house proud is kinda a thing for me and there is nothing here to be proud of for sure.

Other thing. Do you consider giving a book an honest try and not being able to finish it a read. You should because 5 books in a week? Hot damn! My eyes or my hand (which has been falling asleep lately when I am reading) or my glutes would seize up.

Good luck.

Cindy (once again, using up comment space)

8/11/2005 06:07:00 am

 
Blogger Tara Marie said...

It sounds like you read like I do and that's what you're interested in right now. That's probably why I normally don't keep more than 10-15 books. Right now I have about 60 and I chose not to look at them (they're tucked away in my bookcase behind glass doors), if I look at them, not one will interest me.

Don't worry about the TBR pile, it will eventually take care of itself

8/11/2005 03:14:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home