Monday, August 8

Reader Interview: Meljean

Cranky Reader is hosting a reader interview at her blog. Yours truly is still so bloody disorganised that I lost track of what reader interviews had been used and which hadn't, so I cheated a bit. Hot Spell, a Berkley erotic romance anthology that contains Meljean Brook's first novella along with novellas from Emma Holly, Shiloh Walker, and Lora Leigh, isn't due out 'til November this year, therefore she's still a reader in my eyes. IMO, anyone who regularly drags her childhood self out of the cupboard to discuss romance novels of the past deserves a reader interview. So, I grovelled, begged, sweet-talked and blackmailed Meljean into agreeing to do a reader interview with Cranky Reader. Many thanks to both for being such good sports by doing the reader interview at the last minute. :D I received a reminder from the Kates of Romancing the Blog that I have a column due to go live tomorrow, so I'm going to lock myself with Skelly the typewriter in the bathroom and bash a column out of an actual typewriter. I only drag her out of the hall cupboard when I have a serious mental block. Skelly the typewriter and I spent a-many days and nights fighting and swearing while typing out work reports, and she pulled me through every time. I think it's the keyboard that pushes me to write at a steady pace, otherwise keys get stuck. *Clang, clank, clank, clang, clank, clank, clank, clang, cla- clunk* Fuck! *headpalm* See, when keys get stuck, it forces me to slow down, which is a good thing. The problem with me is once I start typing something, I ramble, ramble and ramble. If it's about one of my hot buttons, I ramble, ramble, ramble, rant, rant, rant, rant, raNT, RANT, RANT, RANT!, RANT!!, RA-GIBBERISH, GIBBERISH!!, and FOAM AT MOUTH. Bless Uncle Frazier for giving me Skelly when I was about thirteen. He thought I had the potential to become a local newspaper journalist, so he bought Skelly from a car boot sale. Skelly went everywhere with me around the world, to every place I've lived at, and witnessed many changes in my life. *sentimental* I think I'll go and hug Skelly in a mo. I'm trying to remember why I named my typewriter Skelly ['crossed eyes']. How my mind worked when I was a mite scared me sometimes, so that's probably why I don't remember how my typewriter earned its name. OK, I'll shut up and get to the bathroom. Again thanks to Cranky Reader for the reader interview. Be good, be bad & be safe.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Lol, I too got a typewriter when I was 12, but I got a computer (good ol' Atari) when I was 18, and that was the end of the typewriter. I still have it tucked away in some closet and used it once a year to fill in the tax forms, but since last year those can be filled in online. Which put the typewriter to a final rest; I don't get matching ink ribbons any longer anyway. ;)

8/08/2005 07:35:00 pm

 
Blogger Suisan said...

IBM Selectric.

When you turn it on and the little ball leaps up, spins once, just as the whole motor goes: "ga-CHUNK-hmmmmm"

It seems to me as if a drill seargent lives inside it, and the touch of your finger on the slick black toggle switch has just made him slap himself with his swagger stick and yell, "READY!"

It helps if the Selectric is red too.

8/08/2005 08:44:00 pm

 
Blogger Gabrielle said...

I "appropriated" my mother's old Remington and clattered my way through many a night before the bright shining light that is Macintosh descended into my household. Still, I've got my eye on a little orange typewriter at a junk shop near me. I just want to be able to, every now and then, rip a piece of paper from the barrel and fling it in the air, à la whatever those credits at the end of a lot of TV shows were. (Steven J. Cannell productions??)

8/09/2005 08:11:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home