Sunday, July 3

Reader interview: Marianne

Marianne McA is a romance reader from Northern Ireland and doesn't have a blog. When you were a child, what did you usually read? Everything down to nutritional information on cereal packets in bookless moments. I worked my way through the junior library, and whatever was in the house. In my confused way, I believed that as long as I had read and understood every single word in a book, I had 'read' it. So I read with a dictionary to hand. I've a clear childhood memory of closing the cover of Vanity Fair with some pride at having finished 'reading' it but at the same time knowing that it was somewhat odd that I didn't have a clue what the book had been about. Loved fairy tales. Thought Oscar Wilde must be stupid. How could he not know that fairy stories end happily? As a romance reader, what do you usually read? I don't have an easy defintion 'this is what I like' in my head. So far I haven't read any e-books, romantica or erotica, and I've only read one paranormal romance. I'm a complete wimp, so I can't read anything gory - I couldn't even hack my O-level biology textbook - continually had to be propped against a bench at the back of the lab and revived with a beaker of tepid water. Apart from romance novels, what do you usually read? I like stories. So a lot of genre fiction. And the internet. I read MBs or Blogs in the same way I'd read the musings of Bill Bryson or Maureen Lipman. When I last lost my internet connection I was surprised how much book-reading time I gained. Name top five favourite romance authors if any. Suz Brockmann. The Jules and Robin story in her last book pretty much encapsulates what I'm looking for in a romance. Victorian death-bed angst, served with humour. Georgette Heyer and Mary Stewart, both of whom I've read and reread. Jennifer Crusie, with the caveat that I file her mentally as a comic writer rather than a romance writer. Do you have any weaknesses for certain themes, storylines, settings or such in romances? If so, what are they? Constant heroes.

  1. Hero has been in love for ages with heroine despite [terrible circumstance].
  2. Hero is an adult, and knows we treat those we love well.
If I have both of those in a book, I'm in heaven. When you buy romance novels, how do you make your selection? Authors I've liked before, or internet reviews and buzz. What are your pet hates with romance novels? Tedious sex scenes, and insane covers. When discussing romance novels and/or the Romance genre with fellow readers, which issues interest you most? Book recommendations. But I like the nothing-to-do-with-romance exchanging recipes and seeing pictures of people's pets as well. If an influential romance editor asked you for an opinion on the Romance genre, what would you say? I suppose I don't think the industry works like that. I'd probably try to coax her to tell salacious stories about famous authors. Name up to five romance novels that left you lasting impressions.
  • Gaudy Night - Dorothy Sayers It is not a romance novel. It's the only romantic story which ever made me think - 'This is what I want my marriage to be like'. I even (this is embarrassing) brought the book down to the kitchen and read excerpts to my unfortunate mother. Worse, twenty years on, part of me still wants to be married to Peter Wimsey. Sigh.
What was the last romance novel you bought? Glamorous Powers by Susan Howatch, though I'm not sure if it qualifies. I read it after enjoying Glittering Images which was reviewed on AAR. They both are about Churchmen finding relationships but the romance is fairly tangential. Interesting to read stories that take religious experience seriously. Karen Ranney's book is on its way in an order from Amazon - I love epistolary books. (Combine both and you could have an epistolary episcopal book. Checking my spelling, I find 'episcopicide' is the murder of a bishop. How often does it have to happen for there to be a special word for it?). Thank you, Marianne. :>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home