Reader interview: Nicole
Based in Iowa, Nicole Hulst is busy drooling over Dirk Pitt looking for a job and has a blog: Blog Happy
When you were a child, what did you usually read?
I read a lot of the usual stuff, lots of horse books like all the Marguerite Henry ones, Black Stallion books, lots of dog books, Walt Morey, Jim Kjelgaard. I also loved the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books. Lots of science fiction and fantasy. I remember loving this book about a skunk from outer space.
I also loved Anne McCaffrey, Mickey Zucker Reichert, Robert Jordan, Tolkien, Mary Brown, Clive Cussler (Dirk Pitt ... *fans self*), many comic book series such as X-Men and then on to CyberForce, StrykeForce, Gen13, WildCATS, etc.
I read a LOT, so I'm missing a lot, but this is an idea of what I read. Weekly library hauls were in excess of a dozen books.
As a romance reader, what do you usually read?
The majority of books seem to be historicals, but I've been going into other genres lately. Lots of paranormal/sci-fi/fantasy, as well as romantic suspense and contemporaries.
If it's contemporary, I'm drawn more to the humorous ones. I'm starting to read more chick lit, too. Luckily my library buys a lot of it, since I hate the price.
Apart from romance novels, what do you usually read?
I enjoy reading cozy mysteries, Clive Cussler books, science fiction/fantasy, chick lit. And anything else if it catches my fancy.
Name top five favourite romance authors if any.
- When they gloss over action. Sometimes I think it's because the author doesn't want to take the time to get it right.
- I hate when we're supposed to have a strong heroine who's well-trained and she ends up being saved by the hero after getting into trouble by acting like an idiot.
- Hate hate hate when the woman needs a bodyguard and takes every chance to escape, even though a nasty killer is after her.
- I'm also really not into babies.
- I rather dislike alpha alpha heroes, although I do read them on a case-by-case basis. I also really dislike depressing drama-type books. Hate watching them as a movie and hate reading about them. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but these are ones I can remember.
- Oh...alpha asses. BIG pet peeve. And most forced seductions. I hate the idea they seem to have that because a guy makes you feel good, you love him. I'm sorry, but physical response does NOT equal love...not even lust all the time. Drives me nuts. Guess it goes along with my dislike of alpha asses.
- Sex in romances ... though it is getting boring lately as the same old stuff is rehashed.
- Chick lit and its links to romance is something I find interesting.
- The whole idea that romances are becoming boring. I personally find myself spending more money than ever.
- Stretch the boundaries more often and let more fresh voices out.
- As much as I like reading about hot sex, make it fit the damn story, please. And try not to make it silly. And coarse language does not equal erotic. Please remember that. Please. If it fits the character, then yes, put it in. But not just for the sake of supposedly pushing the envelope.
- If you have a fantasy romance, I still want good world-building.
- Please tell authors to remmeber that alpha does not equal complete ass. Asses are just asses, they are not romantic heroes.
- Brighter Than The Sun - Julia Quinn I just remember loving it so much. The dialogue, the people...I get warm fuzzies when I read it and when I think about it.
- Naked in Death - J.D. Robb Oooh...romance combined with a gritty future and there's real crime in here ... I was hooked. Still am.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home