Reader Interview: Kristie J.
Kristie J. is from Southwestern Ontario, Canada, and has a blog: Ramblings on Romance, etc. When you were a child, what did you usually read? Well, as a future romance reader in training, I loved fairy tales. I loved them and read them all until ... My grandmother had a very old book of fairy tales – the true stories. Boy, they didn’t call them the Brothers Grimm for nothing. Did you know for example the “real” ending for The Little Mermaid? ***spoiler starts**** She did save the prince and fall in love with him. She gave up her mermaidhood in order to become human, but they took away her beautiful voice (they had to have been men), so she couldn’t tell the prince she was the one who saved his life. He married the princess he thought saved him and the little mermaid died of a broken heart and became waves on the ocean. ***spoiler ends**** Then there were the Freddy the Pig books. This was my introduction to series books. Freddy was a talking pig who saw himself as a writer and a detective. Man I loved that pig. I think as a young girl, I even had a bit of a crush on him. But he was from the country and I was a city girl. It was quite a shock years later when I read Animal Farm by George Orwell, expecting the same kind of tranquil farm life. I was also a big fan of Dr. Suess. That’s where I learned the power of humour in literature (ha). And of course Nancy Drew. But I read them more to see if Ned Nickerson would ever kiss Nancy Drew than for the mystery. I don’t think he ever did. Years and years later, I read something somewhere that I thought was hilarious. Apparently, in this writer's view, Ned was gay. I suppose that’s why he and Nancy never got beyond solving mysteries. As a romance reader, what do you usually read? Anything! I started off reading mainly historical with the occasional Nora Roberts thrown in. Then my universe grew to include westerns. I had such a hoot with them, I began adding to my reading repertoire. Now I’m game to try anything at least once. Apart from romance novels, what do you usually read? Well, do newspapers count? I’m strictly a romance girl these days. In my misspent youth, I read every kind of book there was, but now with all the different sub-genres available and since I enjoy romance books so much and I have so many yet to read, why not just stick with what I enjoy? The last non-romance book I read was a John Grisham about a year ago. Name top five favourite romance authors if any.
- I think Linda Howard is “da bomb”
- I haven’t read a Liz Carlyle I didn’t like (and I’ve read them all)
- JD Robb has managed to keep me coming back for more even 20 books down the line, although I don’t read Nora Roberts any more
- Candace Proctor writes wonderful books although she hasn’t been heard from for a while. I really miss her.
- Patricia Veryan’s older books. They brought me back to romance and I still have a special love for them.
- My pet hate is definitely stupidity in the heroine. If the hero is stupid, as long as he’s not cruel, I can write him off as a big dufus, but I’m very unforgiving with stupid women (such as Meg from Brockmann’s The Defiant Hero). Not fair I know. Why should I hold women to a higher standard then men? I don’t know the answer, I just do.
- Adultery in contemporaries is a big bugaboo with me. I had real issues with Bittersweet by LaVyrle Spencer for example. It’s also keeping me from reading The Goddess of Kitchen Avenue. In the right context it’s not a problem in historicals and I’m not one who rants on message boards but I don’t care for it in contemps.
- This is mostly a historical issue, but when the hero/heroine hate, hate, mistrust, dislike, hate each other. This type of book goes to the UBS sooner than you can say Jumpin’ Jack Flash.
- Long separations between our hero/heroine. I mean what is the point if they spend a majority of the book away from each other.
- the In Death series - J.D. Robb This may be cheating, but I’m lumping all the In Death books together. And what I find so fascinating about them and keeps me coming back, is the growth of Eve Dallas as a woman.
- After the Night - Linda Howard Besides having some of the best rocking good sex scenes I’ve read J, I love that Faith Devlin managed to rise about her background. She was the daughter of the town drunk and the town whore, yet she managed to overcome it and start her own business. She risked coming back to the town she had been thrown out of and she stood up to a very Alpha Gray.
- Whispers of Heaven - Candice Proctor Although this was definitely a romance, what really touched me about this book was the growth of Jessie, the heroine. She literally gives all for love. I tout this book whenever I get a chance more than any other book I’ve read.
- One Summer - Karen Robards The mystery wasn’t that great but I loved the story of Rachel (older woman)and Johnny (falsely imprisoned)- two of my favourite themes.
- Dreaming of You – Lisa Kleypas Derek Craven. Need I say more?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home