Sunday, May 1

Reader Interview: Keishon

Keishon is a pharmacist from Texas, USA, and has a blog: Journal of an Avid Reader When you were a child, what did you usually read? As a child I read almost exclusively Judy Blume's books like Superfudge, Tales of the Fourth Grade Nothing, Forever, Are You There God, It's Me Margaret? Blume was it for me as a kid and I could go on and on and on. I really enjoyed her stuff because she tackled some serious issues and I had a kick reading her books. Also read V.C. Andrews stuff in high school. Very emotional reads as well. As a romance reader, what do you usually read? I usually read historicals, but only by those few who seem to know how to write them the way I like to read them with something else going on besides the romance. Apart from romance novels, what do you usually read? Mysteries, sci-fi/fantasy and, especially, historical fiction. Historical fiction is my passion now. Name top five favourite romance authors if any. Off the top: Judith Ivory, Laura Kinsale, Diana Gabaldon, Roberta Gellis, Kathleen Gilles Seidel [AAR interview]. Not by a long shot are they the only ones up there but the first to come to my head when asked. So I guess that says something, eh? And I admit to revising to exclude Brockway, but she would be up there too! Do you have any weaknesses for certain themes, storylines, settings or such in romances? If so, what are they?

  1. Wrongly accused. Love heroes who are wrongfully accused and sent to prison and they meet the heroine who is only one in the whole world who gives him a chance, and they fall in love and live happily ever after. I love that.
  2. Marriage of convience stories - the heroine looking for a home and family of her own.
  3. Troubled marriages are great to read, especially when it's done realistically and the couple face some real tough issues in their marriage. After the dust has cleared and all grievances have been vented, the couple realizes that they still very much love each other and feel that their marriage is worth fighting for. Love that.
  4. Second chance at love, best friends to lovers, unrequited love - love them all.
  5. Older/Younger or May/December romances are another favorite when written well.
What are your pet hates with romance novels? I can't stand stupid people, stupid virgins, stupid plots. Also can't stand to read about fake rakes and rakes in general, and the king of them all: duke of slut. I don't know about other readers but there is nothing romantic about a man that sleeps with anything with a pulse and then wants to pursue you, and have you bear his bad-ass children and pass along all his nasty little cooties. Also can't stand books that focus more on sex rather than characterization. I know where to find a sex manual if I want to know all the various in's and out's, but I pass on books where all there is sex, sex, sex. I need to see people flirt, kiss, dance, work, joke,cook, solve problems, sing and talk to each other! I don't think that's too much to ask for. When you buy romance novels, how do you make your selection? I will usually check the library first. I hardly ever go directly to the romance section anymore unless there are favorites there with new releases. Also, word of mouth will get me to buy a new author. Especially by readers whose tastes are similar to my own. When discussing romance novels and/or the Romance genre with fellow readers, which issues interest you most? Hmmm. The lack of realism in most fiction these days. I know most readers don't like their fiction to be too realistic and neither do I. But I do require that fiction have some realistic foundations and that people behave in a realistic manner and have some common sense. I think a lot of novels written today lack common sense and characterization. Without characteriazation, you've lost me. If an influential romance editor asked you for an opinion on the Romance genre, what would you say? Quit assuming that readers like simple, silly stuff. We are a intelligent bunch. They should learn to take some challenges. But you know, it really isn't the editors, the publishers I should worry about. It's the readership and what their preferences are that often conflict with mine because who else is buying all these secret baby, secret daddy stuff. Publishers are only part of the problem as I see it. I think since we can voice our dissent with the genre on message boards and such, we think we represent a majority. Sad thing is that we don't. So, publishers are only doing part of their job by providing what sells and if secret daddy stuff sell, then that's what you see. Name up to five romance novels that left you lasting impressions.
  1. Voyager - Diana Gabaldon One of the best adventure reads. There were so many twists and turns in the story. Wonderful page-turner and the best of the series. I know there is a backlash againt Gabaldon and her books, but I adore Jamie and Claire Fraser.
  2. Reason To Believe - Kathleen Eagle A contemporary troubled marriage story. Lasting impression was made for me when Ben, the hero, made every effort to make changes in his life for the better to win his wife and daughter back.
  3. The Bronze Horseman - Paullina Simons A novel rich in historical detail as well as a very nice lovestory. Tatiana and Alexander loved each other and went through everything together; no one could say they these two didn't belong together.
  4. Remember The Time - Annette Reynolds This is a best friends-to-lovers theme and could also be classified as a 'second chance at love' type of theme, too. I love the ending and would always reread the ending because it gives me such a smile. A very emotional read about two people who fell in love at the wrong time in their life and never once did they forget each other. It's a bit melodramatic but worth reading.
  5. Heart of the West - Penelope Williamson A woman's search for love in the Frontier. An excellent story of love, family, a woman's journey through life, love and laughter. This book took some work to get me engaged but once it did, I didn't want it to end. Ever.
What was the last romance novel you bought? Payback by Harper Allen. Many thanks, Keishon. :) Be good, be bad & be safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home