I'm such an idiot!
*banging head on desk* A while ago I found a free image hosting site, which had me deciding to gave it a month-long test run. Now it's been a month and I really like it, so I decided to delete the photo blog [a blog that hosted all images for McVane] to use Photo Bucket as the image host. And what did yours truly do? Deleted the wrong blog. Instead of RomPhoto, I deleted McVane. All old blog posts and comments - gone. There's no way of getting them back. *cries* I'm really grateful that I still can hold onto the blog URL. This surprised me, I admit, but apparently with the correct password and username, the blog address is permanent. That's one good thing out of this mess. I need a stiff drink.

16 Comments:
oh no!!! can't you google around and get the cached versions before the spiders realize it's changed?
Has your blog been around long enough to be in the wayback machine? i'm not sure but it might be...
Dont worry, I'll help you
7/30/2005 08:28:00 pm
Oh man, Maili! I'll have that drink with you. You had great sites in your archives- sites I was too lazy to bookmark on my own 'cuz 'Maili has them- I can always find them there'. *boo hoo*
7/30/2005 08:33:00 pm
OMG. OMG. OMG!!!!
Damn, I'm going to have a stiff drink too! All that great info! Oh, maybe those who have done reader interviews have copies of their answers? Maybe?
CindyS (wishing she had any computer skills to help)
7/30/2005 08:34:00 pm
Okay I found some of your archives in the wayback machine (let me know if the link doesn't work)
Googling is harder but im working on it
7/30/2005 08:42:00 pm
Flightcom, I can't hold it. She's breaking up. She's break……..
Kaboooooooooooooom.
Steve Austin. Astronaut. A man barely alive.
We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was.
Better? Stronger. Faster.
I'm sorry Maili. I know how upset I was when my computer crashed and I lost all the stupid stuff I'd never thought worth printing out - pictures of the children, and e-mails from my husband. I hope Jay's idea works. And if not, we'll remind you of all the stories you told about Will, so you can reproduce them for posterity.
[And I'm puzzled by that question mark after 'Better'. I'd have said it went - Better! Stronger! Faster! - myself]
7/30/2005 09:51:00 pm
I wondered what happened. I tried to visit and there was no McVane.
I feel for you!!!!! Hopefully with help you'll be able to get most of the stuff back again.
7/30/2005 09:59:00 pm
Maili, have you tried looking in your browser's history/cache - you might find copies of some pages there.
7/30/2005 10:00:00 pm
OMG, I am so sorry.
...the cached versions before the spiders realize it's changed?
Jay is speaking another language, I'm clueless. Good luck retrieving as much as you can.
7/30/2005 10:46:00 pm
There should be a way to get them back. A fellow of me did the same thing and emailed the staff at blogger. They were able to retrieve the lot.
7/30/2005 11:37:00 pm
Jay - I have checked cached versions and, strangely enough, they all are embarrassing. There's no way I'd put them up here, lol! Thanks for your help. Bless.
Amanda - thanks. Ach, I'm sorry that I didn't save them for you either. Boo hoo, too.
CindyS - *laugh* Oh, please don't mention reader interviews. I didn't even save them. Oh, I'm such a f. idiot. Aargh. *bangs head on desk* Think of something funny. That will perk me up. :) Thanks.
Jay - *cringe* I completely forgot about the blog look. Heh. Thanks for that amazing finding. I think. :)
Marianne - thanks for giving me the biggest laugh of the day. Stories about Will? Which do you remember most? I'll put your version up. :D
Kristie - I know! *cries* I don't think I can get most back. As Will pointed out, is anyone really that interested in old posts? I have mixed feelings, to be honest. Oh, I don't know.
Fair - yes, I did check the cache and hard drive. Nothing there. Thanks for the suggestions. Let's hope that someone will pass on a copy of a downloaded blog post.
Tara - thanks. Jay is referring to 'snapshots' of a blog. When you googled, you may see the word 'cach' next to a result. That's a 'snapshot'. Ooh. Yahoo? I'll check that one. Thanks for inspiring this idea. :)
Gabriele - Thanks for the suggestion. As soon as I read your comment, I emailed a note to the staff. *fingers crossed* :>
7/31/2005 02:03:00 am
Oh, Màili!!!! I've got a bottle of Lime Malibu headed your way to get you through this!!
7/31/2005 07:58:00 am
bugger - that just sucks big dogs titties.
8/01/2005 12:36:00 am
Gabrielle - aw, bless. Thanks for the bottle. I know exactly what to do with it. *massive grin* Cheers for that, 1977. :>
Jay - LOL! It's good to see that you're still at your normal self. :>
8/01/2005 03:32:00 am
Damn Maili. What a summer. Since Jaynie stole my dog titties expression, I'll just nod solemnly and agree.
8/01/2005 01:41:00 pm
Oh my God. I'm so sorry!! You sound like you took it well at least. Or was that just a stiff upper lip?
8/01/2005 04:17:00 pm
AngieW - lol! I'm definitely putting 2005 down as the Worst Year of 2000s. I still think it's that Harwich work trip that puts some kind of a hex on my life because it's been nothing but bad luck since then. Thanks for that nod. :>
Jill - lol. The stiff upper lip is a English quirk, but I did live up to my heritage by brooding at the monitor, thinking of many ways to bring it down to its knee and beg for my forgiveness, completely ignoring the fact that it was my own stupidity that did it. :> Thanks for those photos at your blog, btw, it was fun. :)
8/02/2005 12:33:00 am
Post a Comment
<< Home