Karen Scott lives in Yorkshire, England, and works in business services. She blogs at: It's My Blog and I'll Say What I Want To!
When you were a child, what did you usually read?
I was a huge fan of L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables. To this day, that book will always mean the world to me. I obviously read every single other Anne book in the series.
I also loved reading the classics, such as A Tale of Two Cities, Pride and Prejudice, The Count of Monte Cristo and Lorna Doone, fairly mature reading you may think, but when I was ten years old, our English teacher used to make each student read at least one classical book every month, so we got pretty familiar with Dickens and the like!
I loved books that could make me howl with laughter, which would probably explain the Pippi Longstocking fetish I had as a child.
Some of my favourite children's stories were:
- Just William - Richmal Crompton
I used to cry laughing at William's antics
- Charmed Life - Diana Wynne Jones
When I was younger, I read this book too many times to count.
- The Bagthorpe Saga (serial) - Helen Cresswell
Just one of the funniest children's books evah!
Sheesh, I just realised that I wrote a whole lot more than necessary, so I better move onto the next question!
As a romance reader, what do you usually read?
When I was 13 or 14, I discovered
Silhouette Desire
books, and they absolutely enthralled me. I must admit, I used to skip the sex scenes because half the time, I wasn't quite sure what they were doing. Some things never change I guess. :)
One of my favourite romance authors is
Sarah McCarty, who writes for
Elloras Cave. Her
Promises books are bloody fantastic. I love her writing because her characters really have a strength in depth that I find lacking in a lot of mainstream romance. I always feel like I'm visiting old friends when I open one of her books.
I also like
Vicki Lewis Thompson, and
Lori Foster. VLT's
Nerd series is excellent, as is Lori's
Visitation books. I love
Sharon Sala's books, too.
Hmmm who else? Oh yeah, I love
Lora Leigh and
Jaid Black
books, both from EC. Jaid Black writes really sexy books that the more prudish amongst us would probably find a little too much, but I think she's great!
Katherine Allred, who writes for
Cerridwen Press is awesome. Her book
The Sweet Gum Tree totally made my year.
Apart from romance novels, what do you usually read if any?
I absolutely adore crime books. My fave crime writer has to be
Patricia Cornwell. Her
Kay Scarpetta investigatives are fabulous. The funny thing is, I had
Post Mortem on my TBR pile for about two years before I got round to reading it. From that moment, I was hooked.
I also love well written, pacy political thrillers.
Jeffrey Archer, is still a firm favourite with me (prison or no prison) The first book of his that I read was
Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less. This wasn't so politically motivated, but by Jove, I loved it!
Frederick Forsyth is another fantastic writer.
I'm also a sucker for autobiographies. To date I have most of the famous
Manchester United players' autobios including those by
Sir Alex Ferguson,
David Beckham (I've got Victoria's
Learning to Fly, too) and
Roy Keane. I also have
Madonna's and
Denise Lewis's, and many many more. I'm a celeb whore of sorts.
Oh, I remembered someone else. I absolutely heart
James Herbert. The year I read
The Rats, I turned into an insomniac. I saw rats in my room for the rest of that year. Reading
Lair was just as fulfilling. (g)
Do you have any weaknesses for certain themes, storylines, settings or such in romances? If so, what are they?
I love best friends falling in love plot devices (as long as they are well written). The best example of such a book would be
Shiloh Walker's
My Best Friend's Lover from
Ellora's Cave.
It was refreshing to read about a heroine who wasn't afraid to admit to her feelings for the hero from the off-set, rather than the book-long denial that some authors have their heroines engaging in.
It was nice to explore the relationship between two people who actually wanted to be together.
What are your pet peeves with romance novels?- Oh God, where the hell do I begin? Hmmm, OK, the obligatory secret-baby plot has to be first on the list.
- What else? Oh yeah, daft bitches. I hate stupid whining, I'm-too-overwhelmed-by-my-feelings-to-remember-I-have-a-brain type females that some authors have made a career of writing about. Yech.
- I also hate arrogant heroes. I like Alpha men who have a touch of the betas, which is probably why I now stay away from historicals, especially the ones set in England. Dude, all those men seemed to have gone to the same 'Let's see how much I can hurt the supposed love of my life' school of courtship.
- I'm also currently hating BDSM books, especially the Dom/submissive ones, personally, I just don't get it, but I suspect this is because I have quite a domineering personality so the thought of giving myself up to a man, makes me break out in hives.
When you buy romance novels, how do you make your selection?
Along with everyone else, I have my autobuy authors, but generally, if the blurb sounds good, then I buy, regardless of whether or not I've heard of the author. I've discovered some real gems that way. I have to say though that initially, I'm attracted by the covers, so yeah, I totally judge a book by the cover.
I try not to purchase books that everyone else is raving about, I've been burnt far too often in the past when I've tried books other people seemed to hyperventilate over.
I rarely ever take notice of reviews, unless I'm looking for someone to agree with me about how much a book sucks.
If somebody who I respect suggests a book for me to read, then nine times out of ten, I will try said book. If I find it's rubbish, I take it as a lesson learned, never to be repeated again.
When discussing romance novels and/or the Romance genre with fellow readers, which issues interest you most?
I'm always interested in the romance vs erotic romance boxing matches that constantly go on in Blogland. It always amuses me how people make sweeping generalisations about things they quite clearly know nothing about.
Oh yeah, also, the arguments about relationships being all about lots of emotion, and very little sex, (not in my world) this makes me laugh out quite loudly. What's up with a good balance of both?
If an influential romance editor asks you for an opinion on the Romance genre, what would you say?
I would say that the genre is fine, my problem is with some of the
architects within the genre who need to get with the programme and realise that there is room for all types of romance books in this genre.
I would also tell them, that I feel that too many authors constantly seek the approval of the literati. Everybody knows that
Nora (bless her cotton socks) sells more books than
Stephen King does, yet some authors are constantly wanting to be ranked along with the great unwashed who starve for their art. Go figure.
Name up to five romance novels that left you lasting impressions.
I have a memory like a sieve, and you expect me to remember books which left lasting impressions? Hmm? Here we go:
- The Way To Yesterday - Sharon Sala
This was my very first Sharon Sala book, (I love her, and I'm proud of it) and also I'd never read a book that offered an alternative reality before. It was also a tearjerker, which basically means, if you can make this apparently hard-faced wench cry, I'll be your slave for life.
- Promises Prevail - Sarah McCarty
This was a fairly recent book, but as somebody who hates wimpy females, this book made me realise that a heroine's strength is not only defined by
being a kick-ass broad. The writer also made me realise that Western historicals could be written beautifully.
- Elizabeth's Wolf - Lora Leigh
This was my introduction to Lora Leigh's Breeds, a series that I absolutely love. Her books are generally quite dark, but this was a beautiful love story that moved me.
- Just Joe - Marley Morgan
A very emotional read for me, Joe has the honor of being my favourite hero of all times. I just loved the way Marley Morgan dealt with the subject of child abuse. I really liked the heroine too, which just doesn't happen as often as it should.
- The Sweet Gum Tree - Katherine Allred
Just because it was such a damned good book!
What do you think of romance novel covers in general?
I don't read that many historicals, so I can't say that I have too much of a problem with romance covers. (Sorry, but personally, I find that all the truly horrible covers usually grace the front of historicals, or paranormal books)
Do you have any favourite romance covers? If so, which are they?
I have to say, I do like Lori Foster's
covers. Hers are quite brightly coloured, and no longer have couples in clinches, so for the people who feel embarrased by such things, it makes it easier for them to read in public.
Name top five favourite romantic films.- Pretty Woman
I loved the whole hooker and the rich man story, yay for prostitution!
- The Way We Were
Barbie Streisand was fabulous in this film. Even without a HEA, it was still an awesome love story.
- Save the Last Dance
Another favourite (great soundtrack). It was good to see the subject of inter-racial relationships being brought onto the big screen, without
the usual fanfare, and feelings of discomfort from the different factions.
- Dirty Dancing
Wonderful, totally cheesy, and with some questionable acting from Patrick Swayze, but I adore it just the same.
How can anybody fail to be enthralled with a film which had the unforgettable line of, "Nobody puts Baby in a corner"? Classic. The sound track is never far from my CD player.
- Demolition Man
Does it count as a romance? OK, maybe not, but I consider it romantic because that's the first film my (then) un-enlightened future hubby took me to watch as part of our second date. What a guy.
- An Officer and a Gentleman? Hmmm, no, that film sucked balls.
An Officer and a Gentleman
- Flashdance
Oh, yeah, Flashdance was fab--was that even a romance? [Maili: Yes!! Top five only, but I'll allow Flashdance here.] Once again, great soundtrack.
What was the last romance novel you bought?
Do anthologies count? If so, then I guess
Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down, an anthology featuring
Sherrilyn Kenyon,
Jaid Black, and
Melanie George (is it bad that I've never heard of Melanie George?). I read Sherrilyn Kenyon's
Captivated By You. It was infinitely putdownable. I haven't read either of the other two yet.
The last fantastic book that I read was
Katherine Allred's
What Price Paradise from
Cerridwen Press (the mainstream division of EC). It was a story that totally made want to sigh in satisfaction at the end.
Thanks, Karen!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home