Sunday, August 21

Blogger.com & Spam

I left a message in some bloggers' comments section about resolving the problem with spammers hitting users of blogger.com, but the spam problem seems to be getting worse. So I think it'd save time to have the possible solution here. It took me a while to figure out why some bloggers have the spam problem while the others don't, and I came to believe that the front page of blogger.com is the source of the spam problem. I think those who has 'Yes' set to this question "Add your Blog to our listings?" are most likely to get hit with the spam problem. So I think the issue lies with each blogger.com user's blog settings. If it's set to 'yes', this means every time you make a new blog post, it'll show up on the front page of blogger.com, which may attract spammers.

Click on image to enlarge
To prevent your blog from showing up on the 'Blogs of Note' listing: Click on the SETTINGS tab Click on the BASIC tab Scroll down until you see 'Add your Blog to our listings?' If it's 'Yes', amend to 'No'. Once done, scroll down and click on the SAVE SETTINGS button Click on the REPUBLISH button The job is done!
Click on image to enlarge
With this in place, your blog posts will no longer show up on that front page and, I think, this will stop the others spamming your blog. I'd love to hear from anyone who's already had it set to 'No', yet still have the spam problem. Otherwise, go over to Cranky Reader's blog post - Eat Spam and Die - for a link to blogger hacks. That's if you want to have fun customising your blog. :) Be good, be bad & be safe.

8 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

Mine was originally set to NO, then I changed it to YES so people who viewed my profile would see my blog. That was apparently a mistake.

I haven't been buried under waves of spam, but I've gotten enough to make it very annoying. I've changed this setting to NO again.

8/21/2005 05:44:00 pm

 
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Yep, that's the problem. The moment you chose NO, your blog will disappear from the profile, and that's a pity. I use to check out blogs of people who made interesting comments somewhere, and that works via the profile most of the time.

So far I haven't got too much spam, but I'll write to Blogger if it increases. I think if they get inundated with complaints, they're obliged to do something.

8/21/2005 05:59:00 pm

 
Blogger Tara Marie said...

I've only had this happen once, actually twice on the same thread. If it becomes a problem, I'll know what to do, Thanks.

8/21/2005 07:37:00 pm

 
Blogger Nicole said...

Alyssa, you can also put your blog url as your website in the profile, and then it would still show up. I decided to do that when I got inundated with spam tonight. I figure people would check that out when they don't see anything under the blog section.

8/22/2005 04:22:00 am

 
Blogger CindyS said...

Yep, that was me with the surprise spam. I realize now what I didn. There was this pretty button on one of the help pages that said something about doubling your traffic and I wanted to see what kind of gimmics they used. I guess that reset my blog to be put up on the blogger front page. Hey, I had 40 visiters that day but I imagine most of them were thinking WTF?

It's a good thing you told me about this because I kept thinking, yeah, but I already checked no. So watch what you do on blogger, if you are as curious as a cat you can have crap happen.

I reset it and now no more spam and now down to my 6 or 7 visitors. Good enough for me.

CindyS

8/22/2005 06:18:00 am

 
Blogger kstar said...

Thanks for this tip. I passed it along to some bloggers who were b*tching about spam the other day -- trying to be helpful. And what did I get?

A bunch of whining and denials, "Ooooooh! Nooooo! That's not the problem!"

Ug!
I appreciated it anyway.

8/22/2005 01:59:00 pm

 
Blogger Nicole said...

ALso...am I the only one who reads the comments as "bunnies humpin'" instead of "thumpin'"?

8/22/2005 06:18:00 pm

 
Blogger meljean brook said...

I read it as 'humping' too :D I like it.

8/23/2005 03:33:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home