Sunday, July 17

Reader interview: Sybil

In Texas, Sybil works in client services for an insurance company and she allegedly suffers from bibliomania, which can be seen at her blog: The Good, The Bad and The Unread When you were a child, what did you usually read? Oh, my. I don't remember yesterday much less when I was a child. I remember that I was always getting shit for having my nose stuck in a book, instead of playing outside. Lois Duncan was one of my faves and lead me to read The Flowers in the Attic (don't recall the connection). I then read all of V.C. Andrews, at least all that was out when I was 12. Read her until I was 19 and realized the plot never changed. At 12, while babysitting, I raided the bookshelf when I finished my book and fell in love with Jackie Collins and Sidney Sheldon. It was all downhill from there. As a romance reader, what do you usually read? Historical and paranormal, with a touch of contemporary for taste. Apart from romance novels, what do you usually read? Historical fiction and a little of this and that. Love Dennis Lehane, Sidney Sheldon, Faye Kellerman, and her hubby. When you buy romance novels, how do you make your selection? Oh, God, it doesn't take much ;). Blogs and recs are the biggest factor in making my tbr pile grow. AAR is a site I check every day. The reviews themselves might not make me buy something, but it feeds the spoiler ho in me. I can decide I must try a book to see if it is as bad as people think, almost as quickly as a good review or rec will make me get a book. Name top five favourite romance authors if any. Hmmmm, this is a hard question for me because I enjoy so many!

Do you have any weaknesses for certain themes, storylines, settings or such in romances? If so, what are they? Historicals are such a fave for me and, going along with it, virgin heroines. It is funny because it is completely at odds with how I see real life. I think it is really unwise to marry someone before you have sex with them, honestly forever is a long time. But romancewise - the thought of finding your soul mate who is the only one who will ever touch you, brings a happy sigh. Oh, and to make even more people groan, I like the ward/guardian romances. You know looking at that, it is no wonder Diana Palmer is a guilty pleasure of mine. Westerns! Love em, just about anyway you slice em. Marriage of Convenience. Love Vamps and Werewolves, and just about all things paranormal but not ghosts. What are your pet hates with romance novels?
  • Adultery I can handle the stud hero screwing other women before he 'gets' together with the heroine, but it takes a lot for me to love a book where he carries on with a mistress or side entertainment after he has had sex with the heroine.
  • Long separations! If I read them, I will most likely skim the 100 pages of whatever when they aren't together. But more often than not, I will just pass on the book if a large part of it takes place without the hero and heroine being together.
  • Stupid women Worse being, stupid women the author repeatedly tells me are smart.
  • Contemporary virgins It takes a lot to sell me on a virgin in a contemporary.
When discussing romance novels and/or the romance genre with fellow readers, which issues interest you most? Sex or other 'hot' issues. I think it is interesting to hear what other people think and why they think the things they do. If an influential romance editor asked you for an opinion on the romance genre, what would you say? Stop trying to define romance or love and fit it into a box with a label. There is a reader for every book you can publish. No matter what taboo you break or what standard rule you follow. Name up to five romance novels that left you lasting impressions. Hell if I know. This will prolly change tomorrow if you were to ask me again.
  • Shadowheart - Laura Kinsale The book that started it all. A friend of mine recommended that I read this book for about two or three months before I did. I laughed off her love of romance novels and really didn't think I would like it. I completely fell in love.
  • Only His - Elizabeth Lowell This book started me on reading westerns. Not sure why, couldn't tell you where the connection hit or what switch was flipped. But since reading this book I have had a deep love for the romance western.
  • The Last Rogue - Deborah Simmons First 'light' romance I read. I tend to like them hawt but this book just was perfect and sweet with enough romance, lust and love to make a great book. Started me off reading Harlequin Historicals.
  • Menage - Emma Holly There can be a HEA with three hearts involved. Who knew...
  • Obsidian Butterfly - Laurell K. Hamilton This was the first book that caught my eye and made me WANT to read after a break from reading. At the time I would say I was reading 10 books a year, when you could guess I read a couple hundred if not more from 10 to 21. And it started my love of vamps, weres and the paranormal, oh, my.
What was the last romance novel you bought? Thanks, Sybil. :) Be good, be bad & be safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home