Thursday, February 10

Swimming in a Barrel

History, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.

-- The Devil's Dictionary [1911] Ambrose Bierce
I did some fact-checking work today about the British fisheries industry [*head banging on the desk*]. It was such a dull task that, from time to time, I wandered off elsewhere. Here's what I found: Victorian Sex Factoids I love Lesley Hall. I relied her works a lot in the past. Do check out her other works [print and web], especially The Other in the Mirror: Sex, Victorians and Historians. It's a gem. Particularly its bibliography. English and Welsh History of Lunatic Asylums and Mental Hospitals. It's actually quite fascinating. I'm thinking of a way to talk my line manager into authorising a project to commission a writer to pen a drama that takes place in an asylum. :D *hands rubbing in glee* Routes of English at the BBC. I think many would be particularly interested in this one: Talking Posh. Quite fun. I didn't know what to think when I stumbled across the Dead People Server. Quite morbid, but fun. Alyssa and Wendy offer their takes in response to Paperback Writer's F.U. letter to reviewers. Meanwhile, historical author Kate Rothwell hosts a Reviewers' Contest. Mad woman. :) BTW, I was surprised to learn that "There are more tornadoes per square mile each year in Britain than the USA". Who'd have thought? :) OK, that's me back to work. :) Be good, be bad & be safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home