Bizarre Celebrity Suicides, etc.
I'm a regular visitor [and fan] of Trivial Trivia that collects weird facts, unusual trivia and all sorts. Today at the site, one of special features is Bizarre Celebrity Suicides. It makes quite a sad reading. Here is a selection: Hart Crane [poet] 1932 --- suicide by drowning. On a steamship, he bid his fellow passengers farewell and jumped overboard. Vachel Lindsay [poet] 1931 --- suicide by drinking a bottle of lye (Lysol). Last words. Kiyoko Matsumoto [19 year old student] 1933 --- suicide by jumping into the thousand foot crater of a volcano on the island of Oshima, Japan. This act started a bizarre fashion in Japan and in the ensuing months three hundred children did the same thing. Apparently, that incident was the inspiration of Koji Suzuki's Japanese novel RINGU that spawns the RING CYCLE series that includes Japanese, Thai and Korean film versions. I don't believe the volcano incident appears in the American remake, though. I will check the web site Ringworld later. Ringworld is fabulous as it has so much information about Koji Suzuki's novel and its numerous adaptations for the silver screen, graphic novels, television programmes and spin-off novels. Socrates [philosopher] 399BC --- required to drink hemlock to end his life after being found guilty of corrupting the youth of Athens. Like I said, it's a bit sad. Let's look on the bright side by checking out the trivia page about books: + All the proceeds earned from James M. Barrie's book Peter Pan were bequeathed to the Great Ormond Street Hospital for the Sick Children in London. + Barbara Cartland is the world's top-selling [romance] author with over 500 million copies sold. + Ghosts appear in 4 Shakespearian plays: Julius Caesar, Richard III, Hamlet and Macbeth. + Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin was published on 20 March, 1852. It was the first American novel to sell one million copies. + Of the 2,200 persons quoted in the current edition of Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, only 164 are women. Bummer. + Sherlock Holmes never said, "Elementary, my dear Watson". + The original story from Tales of 1001 Arabian Nights begins, "Aladdin was a little Chinese boy". Ooh, interesting. I didn't know that. + The Three Musketeers' names are Porthos, Athos, and Aramis. D'Artagnan joins them later. I must confess that The Three Musketeers was the cause of the first serious marital quarrel between Will and I. It went from an off-the-cuff comment to a downright dirty and loud argument that ended with me hurling a mug at Will's head. I remember how annoyed I felt when I saw that the mug missed his head by about 100 cm to left. Will said he was annoyed that I chose that mug as it was his favourite. Today, we jokingly refer that incident as "The Night A Book That Almost Broke Up Our Marriage". :D To this day, we can't remember what was it about the book that set us off. I think it was a debate over whether there was the fourth Musketeer. Be good, be bad & be safe.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home